Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    "Energy Vampires" (new term)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Energy Vampires" (new term) Login/Join

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted
"Energy vampire" is a new one on me, not yet in one-look. From yesterday's Associated Press (Don Thompson):

SACRAMENTO [California] — Phone rechargers, TVs, CD players, VCRs, and all those other appliances you plug into the wall and forget were called "energy vampires" Wednesday by state regulators, who voted to make them more efficient.

Televisions, videocassette recorders and digital video disc players use two- to 10 watts even when they're turned off. Power adapters, also known as external power supplies — those little black boxes that power phones, razors, toothbrushes, computer components and a host of other ubiquitous appliances — often are warm to the touch, a sign they're wasting electricity by generating heat. Even when they're not in use, they're drawing power. The average California household has 10 to 20 of the devices that cost consumers up to $75 a year in wasted electricity, the commission calculated.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It is a concept that needs a name. I like the term, though "energy drain" or something similar would make more sense.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
But surely the anolgy is perfect.

Vampires steal into peoples bedrooms at night and suck their blood while they are asleep so they know nothing about it. Energy vampires are using your electricity, also at night and also in secret.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a little checking. The term seems to have been one of pop-psychology: "energy vampires" are negative people who drain your energy. It seems to be much used by a Judith Orloff, who gets publicity on the Oprah show.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
So what would you call the people who sneak band width from businesses that have wireless hubs? Would they be internet vampires?

I've heard the energy vampire phrase rather often.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post