Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Molinology Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Since Sunflower began her new job at a milling company, she's encountered a publication called "International Molinology." While the name is clear enough, (Latin, molino, hence French Moulin, German Müller, etc.) I'd not heard of "molinology" as a field of study. Is the coinage new, or relatively so? Annnnd, is the town of Mulino, Oregon, named because there was once a mill there? I oughta know, but I don't!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Apparently the term was coined in 1965 by the Portuguese industrial historian João Miguel dos Santos Simões. There's a short article on Wikipedia

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
The community was named after a flour mill erected there in 1851, when the community was known as "Howards Mill". "Mulino"
is a corruption of the Spanish word molino, or mill, and was chosen for the name when postal authorities objected that "Molino" was easily confused with nearby Molalla. The Mulino post office was established in 1882. As of 2007, the mill building, remodeled into a private residence, still stands. It is probably one of the oldest industrial buildings to remain standing in Oregon. The mill, listed as Howard's Gristmill, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.

While we have your attention, here's a run-of-the-mill Limerick:

A young girl from Aberystwyth
Took some grain to the mill to make gryst with.
The miller's son, Jack,
Laid her flat on her back,
And united the parts that they pissed with.

Smile.. Smile ... Frown ..... Big Grin ........ Cool

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hey, Asa, why doesn't that beautiful girl you married post with us? We miss her!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I don't know! Maybe if you asked her to? Smile

Reply With QuoteReport This Post