Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remittance Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Just as I was confused by the term, "rendition" WRT kidnapping in the Bush regime, I am confused by the use of "remittance." It seems to now mean almost exclusively the transfer of US dolars to Mexico and points south. When did this word change?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Isn't remittance used more generally to mean sending money or a check for payment for goods or services?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's used here with the meaning Kalleh gives. Immigrants to the country often send remittances back to their families in their country of origin, but it's by no means an exclusive use.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The word rendition has an associated verbal form. No, not *rendite, but render (English < French < Vulgar Latin < Latin reddere < re- + dare, lit. 'to give back'). Rendition is a fairly old legal term. It means 'to hand over'. It was something one did with fugitives (e.g., run-away slaves, viz link). There are two kinds of rendition, i.e., interstate rendition and extraordinary rendition. It's the last one you're thinking of. The CIA hands over folks they've kidnapped to a foreign government for interrogation. Interrogate here has a special meaning of torture. Like many problems today, its origins can be traced back to the Reagan administration. In 1987, a Lebanese skyjacker, Fawaz Younis, was arrested by the FBI in international waters aboard a yacht, where he thought he was going to buy drugs. He was taken to Andrews Air Force Base, tried, and sentenced. but I don't think he was tortured. He was released in 2005. (link). Remit has always mean, to me, 'to transfer money (by some means) as payment'. As Western Union no longer does telegrams money transfers (or are they wire trasnfers?) make up much of their business. I've always felt that people who earn their wages should be allowed to spend them in any way they see fit.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
I've always felt that people who earn their wages should be allowed to spend them in any way they see fit.

No argument there, but it seems this is a new "buzz word" that's taken on singular meaning of late, just as did rendition, vetting, etc. Back in the days before computers one saw "remittance" on any mail order coupon one sent for purchasing something. Seems my flat earth prescriptivist attitudes are constantly being assaulted! Frown

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Seems my flat earth prescriptivist attitudes are constantly being assaulted!

You could always do what most people do, i.e., ignore unpleasant and inconvenient phenomena. Wink

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's used here with the meaning Kalleh gives. Immigrants to the country often send remittances back to their families in their country of origin, but it's by no means an exclusive use.
Arnie, what else does it mean? I've certainly seen, and used myself, the term in a much broader context than sending remittances to families in their countries of origin. I've seen it used with remitting bills, for example. What exactly is the issue here? How has the term changed to mean something else?

While I've seen rendering (perhaps not "rendition") used as described here, I've mostly seen it used to mean an interpretation of a role or piece of music (as defined in Dictionary.com).

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
What is a "mittance" that we would have to have another one?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
A "mittance" is what's left when you lose one of your mittens.

<Proofreader>
posted
And when you find the lost one, it becomes "admittance."