Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mechanic Login/Join

posted
Until recently I had not realized that the word, mechanic, meant manual laborer in the 17th-19th Centuries. Since it didn't mean that in the beginning (Greek for engineer) and it's not used that way now, what caused it to stray from its origins?

Geoff the manual laborer

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Etymology.com says that mechanic meaning the sense of one who is employed in manual labor, a handicraft worker, an artisan is from the 1560s. Yet, the sense of its meaning of being a skilled workman who is concerned with making or repair of machinery is from 1660s. However, the reason for the differences is not given.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Copied from the OED:

quote:
The senses ‘relating to manual labour’, hence ‘lowly, vulgar’, not found in ancient Greek, probably arose from the medieval distinction between the liberal and illiberal arts (see liberal adj.). With mechanic art (see sense A. 1) compare French art mécanique (c1265 in Old French) and its etymon post-classical Latin ars mechanica (c1150 in this sense in a British source). In Latin the expression was used as a synonym of ars servilis , the opposite of ars liberalis , but why the adjective mechanicus was chosen is not clear. This strand of meaning appears not only in Old French but also in the Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian cognates; it is still recorded as an archaism in some modern Portuguese and Italian dictionaries. The sense ‘relating to machines’ appears only as a learned revival from the 16th cent.

posted Hide Post
So did the meaning change when the medieval church became the center of learning, and changed the classical trivium to the quadrivium?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
changed the classical trivium to the quadrivium?

The trivium and the quadrivium were both part of the medieval liberal arts course of studies. Actually (as a word) quadrivium, meaning a four part course of study", predates trivium. So, I am not quite sure what this means? Classical Latin both trivium and quadrivium, but they meant "a place where three roads met" and "a place where four roads met".

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be confused (what's new?) but I thought trivium came first, then with the rise of the church, they changed/added to the official view of what an educated person needed to know, creating the quadrivium. The times cited in the OED quotation seemed to suggest the belittling of the term, "mechanic" under the church's influence.

Edit: I'm wrong. They added the quadrivium; it didn't supplant the trivium. Time-wise, though, might my guess be right?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Time-wise, though, might my guess be right?

As I understand it, the trivium was named after the quadrivium. That grammar. rhetoric, and logic were taught before the quadrivium came along is certain. It just wasn't called the trivium yet.
quote:
The trivium is implicit in the De nuptiis of Martianus Capella [fl.5th century CE], although the term was not used until the Carolingian era [roughly 8th century CE] when it was coined in imitation of the earlier quadrivium. (link)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Z. I had it bass ackwards! But I'm stil puzzled as to how the word went form a learned occupation to a lowly one, then back to learned, as in such terms as quantum mechanics.

All this arose while reading Howard Zinn's history book that former Indiana governor Mitch Daniels called, "execrable...crap." Zinn often quotes 18th and 19th Century histories wherein "mechanic" is used as a lowly occupation.

I shake my head in disbelief that Daniels is now president of Purdue University, and being paid a zillion bucks a year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Shakespeare, of course, had the rude mechanicals in A Midsummer Night's Dream, who were portrayed as (and by) clowns.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
portrayed as (and by) clowns

Well, that explains a bit about my work habits.

Geoff the tree-hugging chainsaw mechanic Confused