Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is he renting? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
During a discussion in OEDILF, a link to a story about an Indian Air Force accident mentioned that the pilot "tenanted" one seat in the two-seater airplane.

From what I can see, "tenant" is a renter. Does this mean the pilot was living in the seat instead of a barracks? Or is this some language difference between cultures?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
In UK English a tenant can be anyone who occupies a space (although it usually refers to one who pays rent for that space).

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Maybe he was a lieutenant (etymologically 'a person holding a place').

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Wish those continentals would learn proper English.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think it sounds odd, but in looking it up one definition was "any holder or occupant." I'd only use it to mean "a person who occupies land or property by any kind of right or title." But, then, I can be a peevologist. Wink [I love the way our spellcheck always underlines "peevologist;" we need to let it know that this is a word board!]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have thought that tenanted would refer to someone who was leasing or renting a space, too. But apparently that is not necessarily the case.

Dictionary.com offers these definitions:

quote:
ten⋅ant
noun
1. a person or group that rents and occupies land, a house, an office, or the like, from another for a period of time; lessee.
2. Law. a person who holds or possesses for a time lands, tenements, or personalty of another, usually for rent.
3. an occupant or inhabitant of any place.
–verb (used with object)
4. to hold or occupy as a tenant; dwell in; inhabit.

–verb (used without object)
5. to dwell or live (usually fol. by in).

Origin:
1250–1300; ME tena(u)nt < AF; MF tenant, n. use of prp. of tenir to hold ≪ L tenēre. See -ant

From the OED Online:
quote:
tenant, v. fig.
To occupy, fill, take up (a space, etc.).

1670 J. NEWBURGH Observ. Cider in Evelyn Pomona 54 A Barrel newly tenanted by small Beer.
1806-7 J. BERESFORD Miseries Hum. Life (1826) VI. x, A pair of boundless slippers that have been tenanted by a thousand feet.
1873 R. BROUGHTON Nancy II. 183 Alternate clouds and sunshine tenant the sky.

Hence tenanted ppl. a., held by a tenant or tenants, occupied; tenanting vbl. n. and ppl. a. So tenanter, one who tenants, an occupant.

Hence tenanted ppl. a., held by a tenant or tenants, occupied; tenanting vbl. n. and ppl. a. So [b[tenanter[/b], one who tenants, an occupant.

1798 J. HUCKS Poems 43 The little family of hope, The young-ey'd tenanters of happiness. 1886 Pall Mall G. 22 Apr. 8/2 The immediate landlord of any tenanted estate.
1903 MORLEY Gladstone I. ii. 38 An eager pilgrimage to the newly tenanted grave of his hero.

Tenanted has been used to mean "occupied" or "inhabited" since at least the time of Sir Charles Lyell. The OED Online offers this quote:
quote:
1830 LYELL Princ. Geol. (1872) I. I. xiv. 300 Birds, quadrupeds, and reptiles, which tenanted the fertile region.

I couldn't find that quote online, but I did find 5 other quotes Lyell used in his 1832 version of Principles of Geology:
quote:
Principles of geology: being an attempt to explain the former changes of the earth's surface, by reference to causes now in operation
Volume 2; Volume 1832
By Charles Lyell, Gérard Paul Deshayes

p. 103
In this manner islands become tenanted by species of birds inhabiting the nearest main land.

p. 147
The felling of dense and lofty forests which covered, even within the records of history, a considerable space on the globe, now tenanted by civilized man, must usually have lessened the amount of vegetable food throughout the space where these woods grew.

p.186
Thus, when timber is floated into the sea, it is often drifted to vast distances and subsides in spots where there might have been no deposit, at that time and place, if the earth had not been tenanted by living beings,

p.204
To the geologist, the Gangetie Islands, and their migratory colonies, may present an epitome of the globe as tenanted by man.

p.299
If a large pond be made, in almost any soil, and filled with rain water, it may usually become tenanted by testacea, for carbonate of lime is almost universally diffused in small quantities.

Charles Darwin also used it in his 1909 Voyage of the Beagle:
quote:
The Voyage of the Beagle
by Charles Darwin

p.351
We continued to ride over desert plains, tenanted by large herds of guanaco

p.398
I never dreamed that islands, about 50 or 60 miles apart, and most of them in sight of each other, formed of precisely the same rocks, placed under a quite similar climate, rising to nearly equal height, would have been differently tenanted; but we shall soon see that this is the case.

p. 461
But there is one charming bird: it is a small, snow-white tern, which smoothly hovers at the distance of a few feet above one's head, its large black eye scanning, with quiet curiosity, your expression. Little imagination is required to fancy that so light and delicate a body must be tenanted by some wandering fairy spirit.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It seems so.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post