Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    The Dormition of Theotokos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Dormition of Theotokos Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
I was browsing the Wikipedia when I ran across this term, The Dormition of Theotokos, in the article on the Assumption of (the Virgin) Mary (a dogma of the Roman Catholic Church and a popular subject for religious paintings at one time). Where to start such a lovely lot of words: (1) Greek Theotokos. literally 'the childbirth, parturation of god', and an Orthodox synonym for Mary; (2) dormition, literally 'a falling asleep' here a euphemism for 'death' (a Latin calque of Greek koimisis, related with English cemetary); (3) assumption 'reception'; bonus words, Great Paraklesis and Small Paraklesis, from Greek παρακλησις (paraklēsis) 'summons; invocation; demand; exhortation; supplication'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Wow!

As you say, a lovely lot of words. Dormition I particularly like; it rolls off the tongue wonderfully.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So Theotokos means the "parturition of God?" That seems quite specific. That's an English word?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's an English word?
Here we go again on the definition of what is a word. Cool It's a Greek word that has been used in English, so you could argue that it is an English word. Alternatively you could argue that it's not. You pays your money and you takes your choice...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
That's an English word?

I'm sure there are Greek Orthodox folks who use it in conversation in English. Two hints that we're dealing with English here is that Greek speakers wouldn't say dormition, and wouldn't use the English preposition of (they would probably use the genitive case: κοιμεσις θεοτοκου (koimesis theotokou)). That's Classical Greek; not sure what it'd be in either of the two modern Greeks. (I wonder if Metamuse'll stop by some day?)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post