Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You can't say that Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
My wife was watching the Wicked Witch of TV, Judge Judy. I usually avoid her since I get aggravated watching a multi-millionaire celebrity castigating people down on their luck for their failure to “work more jobs” as if it was that easy.

But what irritates me the most is the way she has appointed herself Chief Grammar Poloce authority. Today a defendant answered her question with “Yeah”, which brought an immediate rebuke “You mean ‘Yes”, in a demeaning manner. But almost one sentence later the plaintiff, a woman, used the same word in her answer but suffered no correction.

I would bow to Judy’s legal knowledge, but does she have the authority to demand only certain words be used in her “courtroom” (which is at best a mediator’s chambers) and to render perfectly acceptable, if slightly illiterate, syn for "Yes" out-of-bounds around her?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Were there gender and/or racial differences between the two?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Female plaintiff male defendant, both black.

posted Hide Post
So Drudge Doody doesn't like black men? I've not watched it, but it sounds as if hers is one of the "trailer trash TV" shows like Maury Povitch, so whatever she says ought not to be taken seriously.

TV: Trashy Voyeurism

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I don't think it's racial or ethnic. Se just don't like syns and is very authoritaria. She does seem to focus on males, though.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree, it's ridiculous, Proof. "Yeah" is a word, just like (apparently) "octopuses."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post