Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Silent Mentor Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In my profession a mentor relationship is a formal one. So I've been wondering what I would call someone who has shaped my career, and yet we never had a "true" mentor relationship. Is there a word or phrase for that?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Role model? Influence?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Probation officer?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am not sure, arnie. The word I'd like would be stronger than role model or influence, I think (and certainly probation officer Wink.) Perhaps there isn't one. I know that z and goofy always say there doesn't have to be one word to describe something. Still, I think a word for that kind of person would be nice.

I have a person in mind. When I changed foci in my profession, it was a scary time for me. I met a physician at another organization who really influenced (maybe that's it, arnie!) me, and I have to give him a lot of credit for shaping me as I developed in this new role. Yet, we clearly didn't have a formal mentorship relationship.

Perhaps it's influence, though.

<Proofreader>
posted
guru?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Psychopomp? Confused (See Chiron)

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I consider the term "mentor" to mean a trusted friend and adviser. The relationship does not need to be formalised but it is usually better for both mentor and protégé if some kind of formalised agreement or contract exists. In my management manual I do have exemplar mentoring agreements - and some of my learners even use them Wink

Oh, and by the way, I hate, loath and despise the (unnecessary) created term "mentee" (sounds like some kind of amphibian to me). Protégé is so much nicer a term.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

Oh, and by the way, I hate, loath and despise the (unnecessary) created term "mentee" (sounds like some kind of amphibian to me). Protégé is so much nicer a term.

Nah, it's the Indian word for setting your teacher ablaze.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
"mentee"
OED " a group of manatees."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Knowlage is power

Don't you mean that "No liege is poorer"?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hear you and agree. In my line of work, we use the word "preceptor," and then the protégé is called "preceptee." Now, if you loathe "mentee," you have to detest "preceptee." I've tried to change it to protégé, but it really isn't that. So what is it? I have just given up and have accepted "preceptee," with much reluctance.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, if you loathe "mentee," you have to detest "preceptee." I've tried to change it to protégé, but it really isn't that. So what is it? I have just given up and have accepted "preceptee," with much reluctance.

In UK English the term "preceptor" is rarely used outside the rarefied atmosphere of Oxbridge, where it means a university teacher. Those subject to his or her teaching would be students or undergraduates I would suggest.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's interesting, Richard, because here it is used for new nurse experiences with more seasoned nurses. I think it's used in other professions, as well.