Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real estate Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
With Kalleh's query on words creating reality in mind, I began wondering what "real estate" really means. Can someone explain? Is its opposite what the Wall Street crooks have been buying and selling? Is "vaporware" its opposite?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I began wondering what "real estate" really means.

I used to wonder about that myself, since nobody deals in Real Estate in the UK. We deal in land and property.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be mixing forums, but I thought that this was discussed a few months back.

No, real estate is not the opposite of vaporware, which is, as I understand it, software that is promised (or at least announced) but never delivered.

Real estate, in common US usage, is land and buildings. In law, the distinction is between real property and personal property. Real property is generally the same as the common understanding of real estate, but also includes things like easements and, I think, riparian rights. The history of real property vs personal property is varied and fascinating, involving fun things like "ancient lights", covenants which run with the land, and even usufructs.

The Wall Street wizards were not dealing in real property, or real estate. A mortgage (which is at the base of almost all the very wide variety of financial instruments involved) is not real property per se. It is a legal construct that evidences an interest in real property.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The previous thread on real estate (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Darn. I'm really getting senile.

<Proofreader>
posted
While just on the verge of senility,
At least I retain my virility.
I can still chase a girl
To give hot sex a twirl --
I’ve just lost my nonstopability

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
No worries, Asa. Those of us who are regulars here find we do that a lot.

I will have to get Shu to respond. I notice he didn't in the other thread, either. He is a real estate lawyer, after all.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post