Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Notary Sojac Login/Join

posted
Old farts may well remember the loony comic strip, "Smokey Stover," which routinely contained nonsense terms such as "notary sojac" and "foo." The site "The Straight Dope" claims that "notary Sojac" was pure nonsense, but Wikipedia claims it's an English rendering of a Gaelic expression, Nodlaig Sodhach, meaning, "merry christmas." Hoo's wright?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wikipedia says
quote:
Holman defined "notary sojac" as Gaelic for "Merry Christmas" (Nodlaig Sodhach),

Holman might have said that, but Nodlaig Sodhach doesn't mean Merry Christmas in any Gaelic language. "Christmas" is nollaig in Scots Gaelic and nodlog in Irish Gaelic. sodhach doesn't mean anything as far as I can tell.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So - it seems 50/50, Geoff. Good question! I do not remember the comic. Remember Pogo, though? Shu loved Pogo.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pogo was a contemporary of Smokey Stover, and often very clever! I think Pogo's most famous statement was "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo lived in a swamp. Washington, DC was built on a swamp. Figures, doesn't it?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Speaking of swamp, Alan Rosenblatt gives us another perspective on Donald's "Drain the swamp mantra.
quote:
My extensive experience working in and studying swamps allows me to see just how terrible the analogy is. Given the sea of misinformation we currently find ourselves swimming in, I feel this is as good a time as any to clarify what swamps actually are and why they should be regarded as wonderful and valuable parts of nature rather than objects of derision and hatred.

posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear someone speak up for swamps. Wetlands (marshes, swamps, bogs, and fens) provide benefits largely unappreciated by most people, and our attempts at controlling them has often had disastrous results.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many well-off Republicans belong to this outfit:
http://www.nature.org/ There ARE some sane rich "conservatives" who use both meanings of the word. T. Rump and Penis aren't among them.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I love that beautiful snowy owl on that site, Geoff.