Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    New vocabulary for aging?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New vocabulary for aging? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I am a baby boomer, and I really hate that term. First, I wonder whether people born between 1946-1964 are considered baby boomers in the UK? In the US it has become a negative phrase, I think, because of political implications of social security, medicare and the like. We are accused of being selfish and robbing the young of money.

Apparently I am not the only one who hates the term. I read an article that there is a "new vocabulary expected as ageist terms get old." Some of the terms they didn't like were "aging gracefully" or "senior" or "boomer." Apparently the language is starting to change. Have you noticed any changes? What terms of aging do you like - or not like?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am a baby boomer, and I really hate that term. First, I wonder whether people born between 1946-1964 are considered baby boomers in the UK? In the US it has become a negative phrase, I think, because of political implications of social security, medicare and the like. We are accused of being selfish and robbing the young of money.

yes, the same here.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I always thought a baby boomer was a farty infant.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Arnie, is the UK coming up with more "politically correct" words? While I do hate some of those words (like "senior" and "baby boomer"), I also hate some of the politically correct words that come out. It used to be "drug addict" or "addiction." Then it morphed to "substance abuse." But even that's too negative, so now it's "substance use disorder." Geez.

So maybe I'll keep "baby boomer" - but I'll never be a "senior citizen!" Mad

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
but I'll never be a "senior citizen!" Posts: 19531 | Location: Chicago, USA

You certainly will... and eventually an old geezer, too. Or perhaps crone...I know not.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
You certainly will... and eventually an old geezer, too.

Not over here. A "geezer" is essentially male, and not necessarily old.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
To me, a geezer is an old man.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
To me, a geezer is an old man.

I bow to your superior knowledge, your decrepancy.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Never bow to my knowledge proof. Wink

Here is some information on the history of the word. I am not sure if it's correct. Does anyone know?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
That's what I knew, more or less. In modern usage in the UK, the word is roughly equivalent to the American "guy", although it refers to men only. It is of course a dialect word (most famously London Cockney), and colloquial.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
This reference was helpful in collecting extra-US opinions. I think I prefer "elders" (suggested by someone with PR savvy). It suggests both 'superior' and 'respected'.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I don't mind being called a 'baby boomer', but then that's probably because of my generation's innate sense of superiority. After all, we were the adored post-WWIi babies, as evidenced by our gross numbers, & if junior doesn't like it-- as always-- we can simply outvote him (while numbers last...)!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I dislike "Out of the way of my skateboard, Grandad."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bethree, that was an interesting site. Elders isn't bad, but it still doesn't do it for me, though I am not sure what does.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
"Senators" used to have a nice ring... perhaps 'long in tooth'? Wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll be a senator! "Long in the tooth?" I think I'll stay away from that!