Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Pronunciation of "simultaneous"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pronunciation of "simultaneous" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted

Question:
Do you pronounce the first syllable of simultaneous with a long i as in time, or with a short i as in Tim?

I heard the latter from a Beeb announcer today, and it sounded odd to my ear. It it uniquely British, and if so is in generalized or rather limited to particular British accent(s)?

Choices:
Long i, and I'm British (or other Commonwealth)
Short i, and I'm British, etc.
Long i, and I'm US
Short i, and I'm Us

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I haven't heard it with the short "i." I wonder if those who use the short "i" also say "simulcast" with a short "i."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
wonder if those who use the short "i" also say "simulcast" with a short "i."
Yes, assuming we were to use such a word in the first place.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To us lot over here the US pronunciation of missile as "missil" (with two short 'i's) sounds odd, because to us the 'e' is at the end taken to mean the pronunciation should be missile- first 'i' short, last 'i' long (as in pile).

Posts: 153 | Location: South Shields, England.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I've heard simultaneous with a short "i", and "missile" with a short, and then a long . . . but both sound affected to me - as if the people using them are trying to sound British or something.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
but both sound affected to me - as if the people using them are trying to sound British or something.
As would the reverse to us; it would seem as if the speaker were trying to sound American.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
To us lot over here the US pronunciation of missile as "missil" (with two short 'i's) sounds odd, because to us the 'e' is at the end taken to mean the pronunciation should be missile- first 'i' short, last 'i' long (as in pile).

Oh, yes, because you in England are rational about your proununciations. How do you say idea again? And then Worcester? Wink

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, yes, because you in England are rational about your proununciations. How do you say idea again? And then Worcester? Wink

The way we pronounce Worcester seems fine to me - as is the way we pronounce Cholmondley and Belvoir.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
Here’s a list of a few English towns and villages whose names and local pronunciation don’t quite correspond in the way you would expect. There are many more. I am sure there must be similar examples in other countries.
(Pronunciation in italics)
Alnwick (Northumblerand)
Anick
Beaconsfield
Bekonsfield
Belvoir
Beever
Bicester
Bister
Blidworth (Nottinghamshire)
Blidduth
Kilnwick
Killick
Leominster
Lemster
Mildenhall (Wilthsire)
Minal (to rhyme with spinal)
Ruislip
Ryeslip
Slaithwaite
Slawit (short 'a')

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You missed my favourite.

Featherstonehaugh
Fanshaw

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
The way we pronounce Worcester seems fine to me

Actually, Richard, I was referring to the "er" on "Worcester." I just think it funny that the British (and eastcoast people here) add and "er" at the end of "a" words (like "idea"), but take it away after "er" words (like "Worcester.")

Those are great, Pearce and Bob! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
How about Cowbit in Lincs. Pronounced Cubbit.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I have heard "simultaneous" with a short "i" and "missile" with a long "i" while visiting in the UK, while watching British programs on American TV, etc. It's just their accent, not an affectation.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
When I listen to NPR's BBC reports, I hear about 100 possibilities for new posts. The pronunciation differences are amazing. I just love to listen to them.