Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We're boned Login/Join

posted
I've been watching Futurama, and though I've seen all of the episodes many times, I've just now noticed that Bender(the robot character) uses the expression "we're boned" to mean "we're screwed". I can't find a dictionary with this usage, and from experience, I'd say it was a very recent development. I've been using the word for a couple years, but probably as a result of Futurama.

I believe the etymology here to be separate from the expression "you just got owned", or the internet inspired "you got poned"(spelled typically p0wnd or something weird like that). I've never heard anyone over 30 use the expression, although it isn't terribly common among people younger than 30, so that isn't saying a lot. I've also never had anyone be confused by my usage, and interpret it as a sexual reference, although context is typically pretty useful.

Anyone have any ideas?

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The expression to bone, meaning 'to have sex with', has been around since the '70s. I always thought it was from the term boner for the erect phallus.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your such a boner. <idiot>

Hey dude, Lets smoke a big fat bone. <marijuana>

Boy, I was all boned up last night. <too much marijuana>

others: Bad to the bone<really bad> bone dry<really dry>, he bit the bone<like he bit the dust> meaning he's dead....

Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
I'd say 'to bone' is pretty common. I certainly don't think of it as rare.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None of those terms any of you have mentioned are the same meaning as the one I am referring to you. In fact, I haven't heard the usage "boned" to me "stoned".

Cat, which usage of the term are you referring to?

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Adding to goofball's list:

roll dem bones
skull and bones
to jawbone

If "to bone means "to screw," does that mean that at year-end, we employees can say of our boss that unless he gives us a bonus, we have had him bone us?

posted Hide Post
The original one, Sean, that you mentioned - the synonym of 'to shag/screw/<insert euphemism of choice here>'.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
unless he gives us a bonus, we have had him bone us?

Yes. That would be acceptable.