Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A bird in the hand ... Login/Join

posted
This is from "A History of Bird-in-Hand."

While compiling information for the above history of the village of Bird-in-Hand, I began to wonder exactly where the expression "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" actually originated. I tried the internet, but found no explanations. One well-known site even said, "Source unknown." Of course, proverbs being what they are, I wasn’t expecting to find a name, only a good story. By pure chance, I stumbled upon a story in a magazine at an Amish friend’s house that offered an explanation. It was reprinted from a publication called "Golden Days" in 1881. This is the basic outline of the story….

We go back to England and the time of King Henry VIII. In his court, there was a celebrated jester named Will Somers. One day, Will went to visit his friend Lord Surrey. It seems that on more than one occasion, the jester had saved Surrey from the King’s displeasure by means of a "well-timed jest." And so, Lord Surrey usually warmly received jester Will when he came to visit.

On this visit, Lord Surrey was in his aviary. The jester was ushered in to enjoy the birds with Surrey. Jester Will noted his admiration for the plumage of a particular bird, a kingfisher. Surrey noted the jester’s interest and, perhaps impulsively, gave the bird as a present to Will. The jester skipped about with delight and was soon on his way with the gift, showing it off to his friends, and telling them it was a gift from Lord Surrey.

Soon after Will’s departure, a gentleman named Lord Northampton arrived at Lord Surrey’s, where he had been visiting the previous day. It seems he had now come to ask for the same bird as a gift for a lady friend. Surrey assured his distraught friend that he could get the kingfisher back from Will if he "promised him two another day."

So Lord Surrey sent a messenger off to find the jester and make him an offer of two birds if he returned the one he had. The message was delivered to Will, but this jester was no fool, even if the offer may have seemed tempting. Accordingly, Will told the messenger, "Sirrah, tell your master that I am obliged for his liberal offer of two for one, but that I prefer one bird in the hand to two in the bush."

And there you have it, until a better story comes along!

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow. Interesting!

I am surprised about the number of words and phrases where we don't know the origin. When I first came to this site, one question I had asked about was the origin of "nine ways to Sunday." Nobody knows, apparently.

On the other hand, my daughter asked me today why "bellwether" is spelled that way and what the etymology is. I found this excellent explanation in Quinion. Quinion is so good, isn't he?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post