Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying high Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Today I saw a video of a balloon that hit a radio tower. it collapsed at the top and the three passengers had to leap to the tower, then descend 700 feet hand-over-hand on what passed for a ladder on the outside of the shaft.

The news report constantly referred to one of the occupants as the 'pilot' of the balloon. I always thought that word indicated someone in control of an aircraft, which this person was not. He was only capable of lifting the balloon off the ground and allowing it to settle, hopefully with some grace, in an acceptable landing field.

But this "pilot" had no control over where the balloon drifted and was not even able to avoid smashing into a relatively skinny tower.

Does the word demonstrate an overuse of a term or do you consider it a worthy appellation for this man?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Person who flies a balloon" is one of the meanings

1852 Illustr. London News 18 Sept. 224/3 Long shall we all remember the pleasant night we passed with the old ethereal pilot on his 500th ascent with the Royal Nassau Balloon.

posted Hide Post
The gas burner that heats the envelope in hot air balloons has a pilot light. If, however, the human pilot is lit, they run into things.

As you've noted, piloting in this case is strictly up and down, but up and down, if one gets into different air strata, might mean directional pilotage.

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
In 1852, the term might be accurate since there was no intersection with "controlled" flight. But now the term has a more restrictive use.

As Geoff points out, there may be some ways to get the balloon to drift in an approximation of our intended path, but that isn't always possible. If it was, there would be no need to chase balloons, hoping to reach their landing area in time to rescue survivors. I hate a ride that ends with the driver screaming, "Hold on!"

posted Hide Post
You prefer rides that end with, "Hey, Bubba, watch THIS!?" Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
In 1852, the term might be accurate since there was no intersection with "controlled" flight. But now the term has a more restrictive use.

I don't think so.

balloon pilot
balloon pilot

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The question was asked, "what do you call someone who flies a balloon," and there the answer was "balloonist."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or ballunatic. Particularly so for the pioneering frères Montgolfier, who ascended in highly flammable paper and silk, using a coal fired heat source. Gives me the willies thinking about it!

Geoff, who has a pilot's license for flying things with wings

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
frères Montgolfier, who ascended in highly flammable paper and silk, using a coal fired heat source.

Some people will do anything to join the Mile-High Club.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
The question was asked, "what do you call someone who flies a balloon," and there the answer was "balloonist."

What are you referring to?

"Balloonist" works. I don't see what's wrong with having more than one term for the same thing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I must have mistakenly cut out some of my post last night, goofy. Sorry about that - it doesn't make much sense, does it?

The site I was referring to is Wiki Answers.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post