Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    condition/precondition etc
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

condition/precondition etc Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Recently glancing again through Bill Bryson's "Troublesome Words", I came across this.

precondition, preplanning, prerecorded etc.
Almost always redundant. "A lot of headaches can be avoided with a little preplanning." (Chicago Tribune) All planning must be done in advance. Pre- adds nothing to the meaning and should be deleted, as it should have been in these examples: "There are however three preconditions to be met before negotiations can begin." (Guardian); "The company's performance reflected... (the) growth in the worldwide market for prerecorded music." (advertisement in The Economist)

I won't say what I think just yet but do you agree with him?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never use any of those, so I guess I must agree. I've only seen prerecorded on the opening credits of television shows: "This show was prerecorded".

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It might be redundant, but that doesn't mean it "should be deleted." Redundancy is useful and often essential.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
"Prerecorded" suggests to me that the program was recorded prior to the time at which one sees it rather than contemporaneously. I don't therefore see it as redundant.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I agree that "prerecorded" could with validity be used in the context of TV programmes, etc. The other examples seem, to me, to be redundant. However, as Goofy says, redundancy isn't always a Bad Thing.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And what about prerequisite?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I may be seeing shades of meaning where none exist but I can see a difference between precondition and condition. I see a precondition a something that must have been met prior to something else happening. A condition, I see, as being something that is true at the point that it happens. So, to give an example - attending eighty per cent of the course may be a precondition for taking an exam while not taking a mobile phone into the exam room would be a condition.

Similarly, to me, preplanning implies an existing, already made plan. The plan has been made and exists, whereas planning is the act of doing it.

Prerecorded is even less of a problem. "This program is recorded" allows of two interpretations - it has been recorded in the past and is now being transmitted or it is live but is being recorded now for future retransmission. Prerecorded allows of only the former.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post