Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    NY Times excerpt puzzles me
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NY Times excerpt puzzles me Login/Join

posted
From the NY Times: "Given these patterns, it seems obvious that older Americans should be more fearful of Covid than younger Americans. Yet they’re not." To me this should be one sentence, not two. The two sentences express a single thought, so why the period? Have they tossed their own style book?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, sounds good to me. But I hate long sentences so I may be biased. I don't think it's against the style manual though, is it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'd say it would be ok either way. The full stop seems to me to give a stronger break, as if you have said the first sentence, paused for it to sink in and then said the second one. Gives a better rhetorical effect, I think.

(speaking of long sentences... I have been reading Wind In The Willows with one of my students. I hadn't remembered how long some of the sentences are. There are whole pages which consist of only two sentences! It's quite a struggle for me, never mind for the student.)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bob.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post