Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moist Login/Join

posted
I've read several news reports stating that many people find the word, moist to be offensive. In times past people associated Betty Crocker cake mix with moisture; now, it seems, it's associated with Betty Crocker's Bartholin glands. Some sites go so far as to refer to it as "the 'M' word."

Have others noticed this shift in ascription?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Indeed I've heard of it and I'm a leading proponent of eliminating all references to moisture, damoness, wetness, or any other hydrological terms. I especially don't want to see the M-word, D-word, amd W-word connected in any way with the V-word.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We did allude to it here, though in relation to "moist panties." I certainly don't consider it an offensive word. Strange.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Goofy. It was that article that got me thinking about the phenomenon, but when I looked for it I couldn't find it! Search aversion, in my case?

I find it interesting that some hypothesize that bilinguals are less word-averse because they understand the arbitrariness of words and meanings. I can't find anything that says whether that understanding is implicit or explicit.

As for myself, I've used moist at every opportunity since learning of its disdain by some. I intone it with a raspy voice and a rhapsodic expression. Big Grin

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Offensive? Or just distasteful?
I don't find it distasteful. I think of a moist piece of chocolate cake. Mmmmmm! Smile

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post