Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rears Login/Join

posted
In reading The Good Soldier Sveck, I've seen the word often, which in context I take to mean what we over here would call "latrine".

Is the word common in UK English, or peculiar to WW1 slang?

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of it in that context, although "rear end" is not unknown as a euphemism for buttocks.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rear end I've heard, too. One of our local talk show hosts here has, and plays from time to time, an audio clip of the Mayor of Providence (a somewhat flamboyantly gay male) saying "There has been an increase in rear end collisions."

The translator, Sir Cecil Parrott is certainly English.

As I have read along, I've found that he also uses the word latrine, but in more formal contexts. I'm beginning to suspect that rears is used in place of some Czech slang word.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm beginning to suspect that rears is used in place of some Czech slang word.

I think you're probably right.

I found this lecture by Ian Johnston on The Good Soldier Švejk; halfway through:
quote:
The novel makes clear that the need to shit is something that truly unites human beings, linking the Emperor, “whom they can’t let out of the rears [the latrine] in case he should shit up the whole of Schönbrunn [the royal palace],” to the officers and ordinary soldiers, even to the dying and the dead

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Oed Online
quote:
rear, n.3 (and a.1)

[Aphetic form of ARREAR n., prob. originating in the rear for th' arrear, or under the influence of rear-guard, rear-ward.
The form became current in the 17th c.; an app. instance in R. Brunne's Chron. (1810) 204 is no doubt to be taken as elliptical for rereward.]

3b. A (public or communal) water-closet, lavatory, or latrine. Also pl. (const. as sing.). orig. School and University slang.

1902 FARMER & HENLEY Slang VI. 4/2 Rear ..(University), a jakes.
1907 H. NICOLSON Let. 31 Apr. in J. Lees-Milne Harold Nicolson (1980) I. ii. 29 The usual bad rears with its hook and eye lock.
1940 [see LAT3].
1946 B. MARSHALL George Brown's Schooldays xliii. 170 And now let's raid the rears and rout out any of the other new swine that are hiding there.
1969 VISCT. BUCKMASTER Roundabout ii. 30 We also had to know a Latin description of the rear, which we called Foricas.

lat = latrine (L. latrina) = privy (L. forica) = jakes = dubs = siege = jacques = bogard (boggard) = draught

jakes - [Origin unascertained; it has been suggested to be from the proper name Jaques, Jakes; or from Jakke, ‘Jack’, quasi Jakkes, ‘Jack's; attested from 153 to 1969
1552 HULOET, Siege, iacques, bogard, or draught, latrina.

dubs - 1940 M. MARPLES Public School Slang 112 Other synonyms [for lavatories] are rears, lats..and dubs.

siege - A privy; evacuation;excrement, ordure. All Obs.
Also to go to siege, to go to stool, to ease oneself. Obs.

bogard (boggard) - from v. bog - intr. To exonerate the bowels; also trans. to defile with excrement. Obs.

draught - a privy Obs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
bogard (boggard) - from v. bog - intr. To exonerate the bowels; also trans. to defile with excrement.

Hmmmm... I wonder if there's any connection here with to Bogart?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
siege - A privy ...

That also has the meaning of "throne" (as in siege perilous) which is also a word used for a lavatory.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there's any connection here with to Bogart?

The usual etymology for the verb bogart is from the US actor, Humphrey Bogart. His surname is Dutch in origin. Its usual etymology is from Dutch boomgaard 'orchard', literally 'tree-yard'. I don't doubt that the English words bog (for a swampy place), bug, bogle, bogey, in the sense of (hob)goblin, may have had some influence. I like the idea of calling a commode a siege perilous.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the euphemisms: "To exonerate the bowels," "to ease oneself."

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Don't forget, you empty the opposite end in the head.(unless you bring a book with you)

I went to the toilet in Cuba
In a bowl, deluxe, from Aruba
Made from solid gold -
Or so I was told -
Oh No! Did I crap in his tuba?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the euphemisms: "To exonerate the bowels," "to ease oneself."
I am at a conference where people are running for office. One candidate asked the audience to think of a cereal they'd like to be known as. I was thinking of something like Cheerios because it signifies health. This nominee saw herself as Bran Flakes since she'd see that "everything would come out well in the end."

Somehow that just didn't do it for me. You can imagine the image I kept seeing, and others felt the same way.

What would you like to be thought of?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would you like to be thought of?

I haven't eaten cereals since I was a lad. So I would like to abide by the profound thought that I first read in the Goose Island Brewery:

"Beer is not just a breakfast drink"

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
This nominee saw herself as Bran Flakes since she'd see that "everything would come out well in the end." Somehow that just didn't do it for me.
You have to go with the flow.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
As a follow-up, that candidate lost the election. Many of the delegates who voted said they couldn't stand her reference to bran flakes making things come out alright in the end.

Similarly, another candidate lost because of her speech, I think. I absolutely don't think she had meant anything rude by it, but she said, "Take the high road and vote for me." It seemed to irritate a lot of the voters.

It wasn't until this election that I realized how important words are in a campaign. One small gaffe ("take the high road"), and it can mean an election. Granted, she should have known...but still.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post