Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mulatto Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
When asked about getting a "White House dog," Obama quipped something about getting a shelter dog, because most of them are mutts, "...and I'm a mutt." That made me wonder if the term, "mutt" is at all related to "mulatto." The latter word is not used nowadays. Why not?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Spanish mulato 'small mule; person of mixed race' < mulo 'mule' < Latin mūlus. Two other racial terms which have been retired are quadroon 'person with one black grandparent' and octoroon 'person with one black great-grandparent'. Creole is from Spanish criollo 'person born in the Americas but of European ancestry' < Portuguese crioulo dim. of cria 'person raised in the house, especially a servant' < criar 'to bring up' < Latin creāre 'to beget': cf. creche, cereal, crescent, sincere, etc. (link). The usual etymology for mutt is from muttonhead 'stupid, foolish person' < mutton 'meat of sheep' < Old French mouton, moton, from Post-Classical Latin multō 'sheep'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The usage of this word is quite interesting. Outside of the US it is almost devoid of the stigma many Americans immediately react to. It used to be common usage in Brazil, and Obama himself was described that way when he was there.

Other terms are now more common in Latin America, although they pick out the same characteristics and have similar connotations (e.g. 'moreno')

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Moreno < Moro 'Moroccan': cf. Moor. The name of the country Morocco is from the city name Marrakech < Tamazight (aka Berber) mur akush 'land of god'. Another term from Spanish for a person of mixed ancestry is mestizo < Late Latin mixticius 'mixed'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, platonique (and welcome!), I don't think there is much of a "stigma" to the word Mulatto in the U.S., though I am only an N of one. Do others here think Mulatto has a "stigma?"

Mutt, of course, is mostly used (at least by Americans) to describe a dog. I, like Obama, have described myself as a mutt, though, since I have English, Scotch, Irish, Dutch, Norwegian, and German in my blood (probably lots more that I don't know about!).

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mutt, of course, is mostly used (at least by Americans) to describe a dog.

And in England as well.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kalleh:
I don't think there is much of a "stigma" to the word Mulatto in the U.S.

Kalleh, I didn't mean to presume, I've just been told by a few Americans that it is something of a 'dirty' word. My own experience of the US has been that the topic of 'biracial' identity is somewhat taboo, as though pointing out that one is not 'just' black is seen as bad taste. But then I also find that such things are generally inscrutable from the outside, so perhaps I am thoroughly misreading the situation?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
We do seem touchy about racial identity here. We tend to think of someone of mixed race as being of the darker-skinned half of the person's ancestry. Hmmm.... what would the psychologists make of that?

My father used a colorful expression for black/white combinations: "coffee and cream."

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
don't think there is much of a "stigma" to the word Mulatto in the U.S.

At one time, mulatto, octaroon, and other racial distinctions were based on the amount of "white blood" a non-white had in their background. This seems to come from the slavery days and perhaps isn't so prevalent today. But I always thught a degree of opprobrium attached to all the words and doubt that they would have been mentioned directly to the person being discussed.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by platonique:
the word Mulatto
I've just been told by a few Americans that it is something of a 'dirty' word.
CBC News (Canada) discussed the matter, in response to a listener's complaint. It felt the word was acceptable. But see the link at the bottom, to its Language Advisory Board, which reached the opposite conclusion.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
In the segregated South, people of color were classified as:
mulatto (1/2 black)
quadron (1/4 black)
octoroon (1/8 black).

To show how silly it was, if that system had continued till today, we would have:
Maroon -- Part Indian
Macaroon -- Part Irish or Scot
Poltroon -- Part Slav
Balloon -- Part Tahitian or Balinese

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the segregated South, people of color were classified as mulatto (1/2 black), quadroon (1/4 black), octoroon (1/8 black).
Not just in the south. At http://www2.census.gov/prod2/decennial/documents/1890a_v1-13.pdf, from the 1890 U.S. census, note the title of Table 10.

(The table itself begins on the fifth page of the PDF file.)

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kalleh, I didn't mean to presume, I've just been told by a few Americans that it is something of a 'dirty' word. My own experience of the US has been that the topic of 'biracial' identity is somewhat taboo, as though pointing out that one is not 'just' black is seen as bad taste.
I've thought about it since I said "mulatto" doesn't have a stigma. I think I was wrong; I think it does. I will say that I've never used the word (just read it), nor would I. Therefore, I must think there is some stigma to the word.

When I started my current position, I was curious about the ethnicity of one of my colleagues. She is very pretty, with light brown creamy skin. When I got the nerve, I asked her about her ethnicity. She seemed shocked that I'd ask such a stupid question and said, "I'm African American." Yes, I do think we are sensitive here about race.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
But Kalleh, isn't it odd that someone who may be 1/4 of a high-melanin race, and 3/4 of a low-melanin race will identify with the 1/4? Call me naive or gauche or whatever, but I just don't get it! And the situation has historically been with Indians (the real ones) not just Africans. Remember Kipling's tale, "Little Black Sambo?" Sambo was Indian.

posted Hide Post
I'd use the word 'mongrel' instead of 'mutt' for a dog of dual heritage...'mutt' feels more like an American English word to me. Don't know if that's true..

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
A 'mutt' isn't specifically a mongrel dog. It was originally applied to people (probably from 'muttonhead'), meaning 'stupid'. Dictionary.com shows that some dictionaries suggest it refers to especially (my emphasis) mongrels, which means that sometimes it doesn't.

Personally, I think of a mutt as a soppy-looking dog. Admittedly, most such dogs are mongrels, but not exclusively.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
It was originally applied to people (probably from 'muttonhead'), meaning 'stupid'.

I didn't know that! That explains the names in the old comic strip, Mutt and Jeff . I discovered that Mutt and Jeff also means good cop/bad cop, and is Cockney rhyming slang for deaf. I already knew about the tall person/ short person meaning.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Silly me, I thought a muttonhead was a chief shepherd.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
[I didn't know that! That explains the names in the old comic strip, Mutt and Jeff . I discovered that Mutt and Jeff also means good cop/bad cop, and is Cockney rhyming slang for deaf. I already knew about the tall person/ short person meaning.

The other way round for me! I knew "mutton"/"Mutt and Jeff" was rhyming slang for "deaf", but not about the "good cop/bad cop" routine or the "tall/short person" meaning.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
According to the Casell Dictionary of Slang, Mutt and Jeff, in addition to those already mentioned, referred to "(1940s) King George V Silver medal Jubilee and Edward VIII coronation medals or ribbons or the 1918 Victory and Overseas medal or ribbons, which are invariably worn together."

Since these are probably excellent medals, they would likely be called the mutt's nuts.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
But Kalleh, isn't it odd that someone who may be 1/4 of a high-melanin race, and 3/4 of a low-melanin race will identify with the 1/4? Call me naive or gauche or whatever, but I just don't get it! And the situation has historically been with Indians (the real ones) not just Africans. Remember Kipling's tale, "Little Black Sambo?" Sambo was Indian.

Not Kipling's: the author was Helen Bannerman.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by timon:

Not Kipling's: the author was Helen Bannerman.

Ooops, I'll attribute that to senility! The point's the same, though.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
But Kalleh, isn't it odd that someone who may be 1/4 of a high-melanin race, and 3/4 of a low-melanin race will identify with the 1/4?
I agree, Asa. I wondered why Obama, for example, is considered African American. After all, he is half Caucasian.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I wondered why Obama, for example, is considered African American

Possibly because, until very recently, it wasn't a choice. Homer Plessy was 7/8 white.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
If the "one drop" idea is correct (anyone with one drop of Negro blood is a Negro) then what is a nation where 12.9 percent of the population describes itself as "Black"?

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post