Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

By any other name Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Apparently we no longer have a library in the college. It's been redesignated as a "learning hub". I was told that they are providing a cutting edge service. Is it technically even possible to be both a hub and an edge at the same time?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
One of my colleagues has just suggested that as it is both a hub and an edge it must be a quantum learning environment which means you can be both in the library reading a book and out of the liberary having a beer at the same time.

This is why physicists don't tell jokes.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Well, hubs have edges. Didn't the ancient British and Germanic tribes sometimes use knives on the wheels of their chariots? Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
If you're lucky, the library will be rehubilitated.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It's been redesignated as a "learning hub".

I was in one of the first classes to go to the (then) new middle school (junior high as they're called here, grades 7 & 8), and our library was dubbed the Media Center. Most of the media were books and magazines, but there were a few Super-8 mm films and slide shows to watch. I wonder if it's still called than 40 years on? Whatever it was called, it was a great place to hang out, do homework, and just plain read.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I recently visited the University of Nevada, Reno, and they no longer have a library. They told me it was now named the Knowledge Center, and yet when I try to find it on their site, they still refer to it as the library. I think people are struggling with what to call those "centers" because libraries are so much more interactive, and bookless, these days. Still, the term "library" should be okay, I'd think, even to describe other types of learning materials because most still involve some reading.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post