Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Latin and Grek in biology
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latin and Grek in biology Login/Join

posted
While reading Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer, I noticed that at one point she erroneously called a Greek-derived activity a Latin one. It then occurred to me that Latin names are for taxonomy, but Greek is used for an organism's traits, as in "photophilic" for a characteristic of plants that must have direct sunlight. How/why did this come about?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Partially a remnant of everybody doing serious writing in Latin. Taxonomy and the ISV (Internation Scientific Vocabulary) seems evenly devided between Greek and Latin. Cf. Homo sapiens but also Australopithicus africanus. Also Latin-derived terms like [lateral[/i], dorsal, and ventral, &c.

Addendum: the ISV also kind of replaces Latin as the main scientific language by providing terms in other languages that are easily recognizable.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks. I'm still unsure why there was a division of terms between the languages of description and function, but you've given me more of an answer than I've been able to find on my own.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post