Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgepodge Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I used the word "hodgepodge" in an email today, and I then wondered where the word came from. Etymology.com says this:
quote:
1426 (hogpoch), alteration of hotchpotch (c.1386), from a legal term in Anglo-Fr. (attested from 1292) for collecting of property in a common pot before dividing it, from O.Fr. hochepot "stew, soup," first element from hocher "to shake," from a Gmc. source (cf. M.H.G. hotzen "shake").
From Anglo-French it is a legal term, but from Old French it's "stew or soup?" Granted, with the legal term there is a collecting of property in a common pot, but still the two concepts seem quite different to me. Did it really mean a "stew" or "soup," do you think, or was that a metaphor?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I infer from the OED entry that its earlier use was for the stew, then later in Anglo-Norman it was a legal term.

quote:
< Anglo-Norman and Middle French hochepot (French hochepot) dish containing a mixture of many ingredients, especially kind of stew made with minced beef or goose and various vegetables (c1214 in Old French), in Anglo-Norman also (in legal use) reunion and blending together of properties in order to secure equality of division (c1290 or earlier) < hocher, hochier HOTCH v. + pot POT n.1

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Did it really mean a "stew" or "soup," do you think, or was that a metaphor?

I agree with goofy; I think the (later) Anglo-Norman legal term was the metaphor. Cf. the similar shift in meaning in English of potpourri from the original French meaning of stew (it is a calque of Spanish olla podrida (lit., 'rotten pot/stew'). Or how English casserole has shifted from the container (French for saucepan) to the contents; or dish for that matter.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
From the OED, here is the earliest quote:
quote:
1426 AUDELAY Poems 29 Cast ham in a hogpoch togedur fore to daunce.
Here is the first one with the clear legal meaning:
quote:
1793 J. PEARSON Polit. Dict. 29 Hodge-Podge, the name of a bill passed at the end of the Session, to lick up every little thing forgot through the negligence of the Secretary of the Treasury, or the hurry of business.
So I guess you are both right. I was responding to that 1292 date from etymology.com, but I don't know where they got it. I had assumed the legal term had come first.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Gallimaufry: A Hodgepodge of Our Vanishing Vocabulary

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
etymology.com

There seems to be little quality control over there: caveat lector.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
Or how English casserole has shifted from the container (French for saucepan) to the contents; or dish for that matter.

Or the chief cook (chef de cuisine) to anybody who cooks (chef). Or how cuisine has shifted from the kitchen to the food prepared therein.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
There seems to be little quality control over there: caveat lector.
I have noticed that they seem to copy the OED. But I hadn't seen anything this bad before.