Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goo-goo Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Have you heard of the word goo-goo, which is a derisive term for advocates of political reform? Eric Zorn writes about it here. He says,
quote:
The New York Sun coined it in 1890s as a back of the hand to Good Government Clubs in New York City. Teddy Roosevelt picked it up and was quoted as referring to "those prize idiots, the goo-goos."

It works well as a slur because the mash-up of the first letters in "good" and "government" is reminiscent both of "goody-goody"—a term for an insufferably well-behaved person—and of the gurgling sound made by infants.
According to the Wikipedia article, Mike Royoko, a very popular Chicago columnist and writer who died in 1997, revived the word. Is it more a Chicago regionalism, or is the word more widespread?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've not seen it used around here. Despite his being a bit more right-wing than I, I really miss Mike Royko. He was often hilarious! Too bad Portland doesn't have someone like him to liven things up here in Weird City.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It certainly hasn't crossed over the pond to us.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
ONly heard it as baby-talk.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Here's a contribution to your collection of "Little-Known Facts." In Cherokee Indian language, gugu means "bottle."

Furthermore, that word is used in Cherokee as a short slang name for "Bartlesville."

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
If one gathers several of them together it's candy: http://www.googoo.com/

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Despite his being a bit more right-wing than I,
I never considered Royoka right-winged. He was more like the Joe Blow on the street in Chicago; the every day guy. I really liked him a lot. Here is a sample. His "Slats Grobnick" was used throughout his columns.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
At my first newspaper job, I worked on the copy desk, writing headlines and editing wire copy. One of our wire feeds (sounds so antique) was the CDN--Chicago Daily News, and there were several of us around the desk who would fight over the Royko column. We were all in our 20s and diehard fans. When Boss, his book about Mayor Richard Daley Sr., came out, I sent my copy to him with a fan letter to have it autographed, and he returned it with a note and the autograph. It is still on the shelf, though I have not looked at it in years.

He was the hilarious man on the street--and I think of him and Jimmy Breslin as being of the same mold, the old-time newspapermen--but not identical. I didn't think he was conservative either, Kalleh--just anti corruption. What a field day he would be having this year in Chicago, eh what?

Wordmatic

P.S. I don't remember his using "Goo-Goo," so now I'll have to find the book and read it again. Have never heard anyone use the expression as anything but baby talk.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Royko lived in our community and was well-respected by Democrats and Republicans alike. Somehow he knew how to bring people together. He put a lot of smiles on a lot of faces!

As for goo goo, it must be a regionalism then.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Do you suppose Arche Bunker and Whatzizname the mail man on Cheers were takeoffs on Royko?

posted Hide Post
quote:
I think of him and Jimmy Breslin as being of the same mold,

I'd include the late Studs Terkel in that group as well.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post