Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

echoic formation Login/Join

Picture of pearce
posted
Chasing the etymology of the word frou-frou, I found it was of echoic formation, a generic term of which I was ignorant. It seems to me to resemble onomatopaoeia, but I guess many of you will know much more than I do about it.
The OED says:
quote:
Of the nature of an echo: a term proposed by J. A. H. Murray and used in this Dictionary to describe formations which echo the sound which they are intended to denote or symbolize.

1880 J. A. H. MURRAY Addr. Philol. Soc. 20 note, Echoism..has the useful derivatives echoist, echoize, and echoic. 1886 N.E.D. s.v. Botch v.1, App. related to Du. botsen to knock, dash, Ger. dial. butschen, butzen to strike, knock; according to Franck an onomatopic word of echoic origin. 1950 PARTRIDGE Here, There & Everywhere 182 Grurmstipth, an omnibus: obviously an echoic term.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I've never heard or read the word "echoic" before, nor "echoize" nor "echoist."

So if someone's outfit is very "chi-chi," that would be an echoic formation, but what about razzle-dazzle or ping pong? Boo-hoo, as opposed to boo-boo? I wonder whether it has to be an exact repetition of the same syllable? Of course, ping pong is actually onomatopoetic.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
"Click clock" seems more onomatopoetic for the game than "ping pong," unless you have musical balls.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I've heard those are very common among musicians..

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard it, either. In some definitions I see that they define "echoic" as "onomatopaoeia."

I found this site of echoic words.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordmatic:
I wonder whether it has to be an exact repetition of the same syllable? Of course, ping pong is actually onomatopoetic.
Wordmatic

I don't think repetition of the syllable is a necessary defining factor. My impression was that echoic formation had to echo the sound which they are intended to denote or symbolize. So, bing, bang crash, miaow, plop are all echoic— with no internal repetition.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post