Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jegging Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Language Log had a nice discussion of the word "jegging" that is being used as a portmanteau of "leggings" and "jeans." Still, why, they wonder, is it not "jeggings?" I looked "jegging" up on the Web, and there are more than 13,000 hits for "jegging," including this one. Interestingly, in the first paragraph they call them "half-jean half-legging," but in the next paragraph they call them "black jean-leggings." So who knows?

Have you heard of "jegging?" Do they have them in England?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of them but that means nothing as I'm hardly an expert in fashion.

EDIT: Language Log has just made a post about it/them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which half is which? It makes as much sense as "blog," a term I associate more with nasal detritus (booger clog), than internet vanity sites.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Why not call them leans instead? It would describe the way they look (a slimmer variety of jeans).

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I've never understood the animus towards blog. In fact, one of my first blog postings (lopng since lost in a computer crash) was about the word blog. In fact, I've always wanted to create a blog called Moist Panty Blog about words that people don't like.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moist Panty - that sounds intriguing, assuming it doesn't refer to some old woman who just peed her pants.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
that sounds intriguing

I was referring to this.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps "moist" irritates some women because of the advertising industry's overuse of it for everything from turkeys to feminine products.

I can't explain my dislike of "blog;" it just sounds like something unpleasant to me. Somewhere we discussed favorite words; now we've segued into discussing least favorite ones, it seems.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

posted Hide Post
I had no idea people reacted so strongly about what seem to me to be pretty innocuous words. I don't particularly like some words, but they don't upset me. I like this remark from the link you posted, zmj:
quote:
ladykatya:
My sister also hates the words 'moist' and 'panties'. I, however, find it HILARIOUS to walk behind her at the mall whispering over and over "moist panties. moist panties. moist panties". She turns this lovely shade of red as she gets more upset with me. Wink

I find that funny. Mean, but funny. "Moist panties" sounds sexy, which I imagine is why some people object to it.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shall we print up T shirts with Moist Panties on them? Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting what men like to talk about. Roll Eyes

Anywho...I asked my daughter about jegging. Nope, she has not heard of them, she said. Then I explained what they were. "Oh, I have a pair of them," she then said.

I guess the word hasn't quite taken off yet.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post