Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conjure up.... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I heard an advertisement on the radio for local univeristy. They said, "Conjure us up online at ..... Is that used correctly? When I looked it up, it didn't seem to be correct. Yet, my husband says he has seen it used that way before. Have any of you?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure. The conjury is still out on that one.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Sounds a bit awkward but I can't actually see anything wrong with it. I'll think about it and see what I can conjure up.

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"conjure us up online at...."

Nope! I would say that is wrong. Without doing a lot of looking, conjure brings to mind something you invent, maybe by magic. Unless they don't have a web site and you have to create it, "conjure it up", for them, then I would say this usage is wrong.

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Morgan:
"conjure us up online at...."

Nope! I would say that is wrong. Without doing a lot of looking, conjure brings to mind something you invent, maybe by magic. Unless they don't have a web site and you have to create it, "conjure it up", for them, then I would say this usage is wrong.

I think they mean it metaphorically. The internet is like magic. Hit the button - hey presto, a new site appears out of thin air, cyber-rabbits from a virtual hat.

I still think the phrase sounds a little clumsy though.

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post