Tools

PRECONIZE Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted
Please vote for the definition of PRECONIZE

Question:
What does "preconize" mean?

Choices:
1.to hold preliminary deliberations with attorneys before convening a Grand Jury
2.to lack awareness
3.to estimate a number between 0 and 1, as used in fuzzy logic
4.to know something before it happens
5.to announce or commend publicly
6.in drafting, specifying the points used prior to lofting a multi-dimensional object
7.to subconsciously anticipate awareness of another's presence
8.to acquire information, as before an invasion; to engage in surveillance (see reconnaissance)
9.to shape into a cone during manufacture
10.to flatter
11.to feel you know a person or place the first time you meet a person or visit a place, also known as déja-vu
12.to foresee

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They all have to do with foreknowledge except 5 and 10, and they seem similar to one another, but unlikely. Oh, what to do, what to do...

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was gonna pick #6, but then I reread “...lofting a three-dimensional object” and scratched my head too many times to vote for it.

Posts: 6266 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Hi all, back from vacation. Four people submitted daffynitions, so somebody didn't vote!

And maybe there are other folks waking up from summer sloth who would care to vote-- come one, come all!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's good to be a sloth in the summer. https://www.chimuadventures.co...rstock_157876628.jpg

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
It's good to be a sloth in the summer. https://www.chimuadventures.co...rstock_157876628.jpg

That picture is adorable! Only I think of myself more as a dog... when people are around and busy, I'm full of pep. When alone, I'm like my old lab, turning 3 circles around a good spot & plopping down to sleep.

posted Hide Post
I had a young pit bull turn three circles around me this morning. Then three more. Then thhhrr-eeeeeeeeee... We caught her running loose. No ID tags, just a collar. When Sue put a leash on her she took off and made me the axle of a canine merry-go-round. Thank goodness the animal control officer got here quickly! My innards are still going twice as fast as my outards. Ohhhhh... I think I prefer your dog.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Yippee, do I win? Only one person voted for the actual definition-- or does that mean that person "won"?

But of course, ahem, this game is simply for our edification & vocab-bldg., right? Roll Eyes

Anyone want to guess which of the four votes is correct, or shall I just spill the beans?

posted Hide Post
I voted for #8. I felt like I had come across the word somewhere, but just couldn't place it. In the end, I just guessed. I think either 8 or 1 is the winner. As for who won, I have no idea how best to judge. Who gets it right or who got the most right, you decide Bethree5. Since it's a tie, again. You could vote for who you think had the most interesting answer. I am looking forward to learning the correct one.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Here were the authors:
Kalleh #1 (one vote)
sattva #2, #7, #11
Geoff #3, #6, #10 (one vote), #12
haberdasher #4, #8 (one vote), #9

And the real definition of “preconize”, garnering one lucky vote, is: “to announce or commend publicly.” An obscure and relatively useless word Razz I chose it because it resembles “recognize” and “precognizant” but of course has nothing to do with either, because “con” is just a prefix, not a verb root meaning “to know.” The actual word root is the Latin noun “praeco,” meaning herald or crier; it became a verb in Late & Medieval Latin.

I came across it in a wikipedia article about a period in Spanish literature: “The Generation of ’27 [1927] made a frequent use of visionary images, free verses and the so-called impure poetry preconized by Pablo Neruda.”

As I recall we usually just play this for fun - i.e., winner isn't forced to pick the next word! No winner this game anyway- I could only have one if no one guessed the meaning correctly.

posted Hide Post
Wow, you foolboozled us all!

I have one if I may submit it, but, given my scrambled brain, someone else will need to do the poll. Shall I do it anyway? Or has someone else got a good one?

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about using the poll tool, Geoff. In this game we traditionally just spell stuff out "longhand." I only used the poll because I'm used to it.