Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Buggering up Britain
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buggering up Britain Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Journalist and occasional Wordcrafter Quentin Letts is reissuing the paperback version of his 2008 book 50 People Who Buggered Up Britain with a five additions, "Now with added bankers". Presumably "55 People ..." isn't as catchy a title, or else Quentin can't count.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
or else Quentin can't count.

Perhaps he's also an accountant.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Arnie,
1. You are right. I am not good at maths. I once managed to score 4% in an exam. That is, I think it was 4%...
2. If we had renamed it "55 People Who Buggered Up Britain" the publisher would have had to give me a new contract. And you know how generous publishers are.

<Proofreader>
posted
I always thought "buggered" was not considered a word used in public in Britain. Has that attitude changed or am I misinformed?

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
In some sectors of society the act, if not the word, is almost obligatory it seems to me.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
I always thought "buggered" was not considered a word used in public in Britain. Has that attitude changed or am I misinformed?

You're misinformed. "It's buggered" would be a relatively mild expletive for "it's broken". The connection with the verb is almost never intended or made.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
You're misinformed.

Well, I'll be buggered.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Quentin, for weighing in on this.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post