Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Fifth Edition of AHD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fifth Edition of AHD Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
After 11 years and with 8 full-time editors, several dozen expert consultants and 200 usage experts, the AHD has come out with it's 5th edition ! It includes 10,000 new words such as uvulopalatopharyngoplasty,spaghettification, and a word we looked for in another thread, flexitarian. Indeed, I had posted about that word in 2004. Marriage has been re-defined as: "The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife, and in some jurisdictions, between two persons of the same sex, usually entailing legal obligations of each person to the other."

Steve Kleinedler, the executive editor, said their surveys showed that, across age groups, they overwhelmingly got feedback preferring the print edition, so he thinks there will be another print edition. That 6th edition will be started in about 6 years or so, he says.

What do you think? I can't say that I use a print dictionary much anymore. Do you?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't say that I use a print dictionary much anymore. Do you?

Almost never. In fact, only the other day at work I tossed away a (rather old and battered) copy of the COED that was only taking up space. I conducted a straw poll of about half a dozen colleagues beforehand, and no-one could remember when they last used a print dictionary; we all rely on our computers nowadays.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Right at the moment I don't because I don't have one and I don't have anywhere to buy one as Baiyin's selection of English books runs to dual language editions of books a hundred or so years old.
However I used a print dictionary right up to the day that it had to go into storage with all my other books.
Just old-fashioned, I suppose.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a print edition of The American Heritage Dictionary of Indo-European Roots but that's all.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
In fact, only the other day at work I tossed away a (rather old and battered) copy of the COED that was only taking up space.

When we moved into this house 24 years ago, our predecessors sold us three sets of encyclopedias. Shu was ecstatic because he loves encyclopedias. We still have 2 sets (I got rid of one), but I can't talk Shu into getting rid of the other two. He just loves them!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
We still have 2 sets (I got rid of one), but I can't talk Shu into getting rid of the other two. He just loves them!

Same here. When we moved in, the previous owner said he loved pancakes, so now we have three rooms full of them

Reply With QuoteReport This Post