Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Sheer Enlightenment
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheer Enlightenment Login/Join

posted
I have a friend who posts a wonderful "Quote of the Day" on another site. I have asked her to come here to post her marvelous quotes each day. Watch this space for sheer enlightenment! Big Grin

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, and you know how I love quotes! Thanks, Morgan. Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not I--nor anyone else, can travel that road for you. You must travel it yourself.
Walt Whitman

Posts: 95 | Location: Sandusky, Ohio, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Compare

"You've got to walk that lonesome valley,
You've got to cross it for yourself,
Ain't nobody else can cross it for you,
You've got to cross it for yourself..."

-- American folk song, ? Negro spiritual ?
(I don't have more precise identification right at hand)

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"We're never so vulnerable than when we trust someone -- but paradoxically, if we cannot trust, neither can we find love or joy."
--Walter Anderson

posted Hide Post
"A dream is a microscope through which we look at the hidden occurrences in our soul."
--Anon.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
I've started another thread for quotations enlightening but not necessarily positive.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Cam, welcome to wordcraft! What a delight to have a quote for the day! Smile Wink Big Grin

posted Hide Post
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of the dream."
--Eleanor Roosevelt

posted Hide Post
Haven't had a chance to look around much, but I am looking forward to getting to know a few familiars here and in getting a little more involved.

posted Hide Post
Long overdue....thanks for coming aboard Cam! And you have been excused from posting for the past few days. If I could be away visiting friends, so could you! (BTW...nice seeing you again! Wink)

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth--and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up--that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had.
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

posted Hide Post
Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Dear Cam,

Our poor power with words limits us in attempting to express the depth and magnitude of our feelings of Gratitude toward you and Melody for having had the grace and generosity to share this with us today.

Thank you.

quote:

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No trumpets sound when the important decisions of our life are made. Destiny is made known silently.
Agnes De Mille

posted Hide Post
I'm glad you are enjoying the quotes. I love finding treasures along life's highway and then following up with the gift of being allowed to send them on their way for others to discover.

Stay safe, we are officially over hump day and on the down hill slope to the W E E K E N D. Time to play.

Cam

posted Hide Post
There is a loftier ambition than merely to stand high in the world. It is to stoop down and lift mankind a little higher.

posted Hide Post
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new heaven to the human spirit.

posted Hide Post
Here are two quotes I cribbed from the A Word A Day site.

In the first place, God created idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards. -Mark Twain

If you consult enough experts, you can confirm any opinion.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't get discouraged; it is often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock.

posted Hide Post
I really don't know why it is that all of us are so committed to the sea, except I think it is because in addition to the fact that the sea changes and the light changes, and ships change, it is because we all came from the sea. And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and , therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it we are going back from whence we came.
President John F. Kennedy

posted Hide Post
"The greatest mystery is not that we have been flung at random between the profusion of matter and of the stars, but that within this prison we can draw from ourselves images powerful enough to deny our nothingness."
--Andre Malraux

posted Hide Post
Perhaps loving something is the only starting place there is for making your life your own.
Alice Koller

posted Hide Post
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
--Winston Churchill

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth--and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up--that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had.
Boy, did those words ring true this weekend in Chicago. Perhaps some of you heard about the porch collapse in Chicago, snuffing out 13 young adult lives. On a more personal note, my daughter was at that party, narrowly escaping injury. It was a stark reminder of the fragility of life.

posted Hide Post
Where there is great love there are always miracles.
Willa Cather

posted Hide Post
Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how...The artist never entirely knows. We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap afte leap in the dark.

Agnes De Mille

posted Hide Post
Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.
Anais Nin

posted Hide Post
We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh.
Agnes Repplier

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So very true! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
anybody with whom we never laugh.

There must be a word meaning "a person who never laughs."

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
A Bud Lite drinker?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The potential of the average person is like a huge ocean unsailed, a new continent unexplored, a world of possibilities waiting to be released and channeled toward some great good."
-- Brian Tracy

posted Hide Post
"One should . . . be able to see things as hopeless and yet be determined to make them otherwise."
--F. Scott Fitzgerald

posted Hide Post
This I do know beyond any reasonable doubt. Regardless of what you are doing, if you pump long enough, hard enough and enthusiastically enough, sooner or later the effort will bring forth the reward.
Zig Ziglar

posted Hide Post
"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend."
-Albert Camus

posted Hide Post
In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary.
Aaron Rose

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cam:
In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary.
Aaron Rose

In the dark, all cats are grey.
- Benjamin Franklin, June 25, 1745, advising a young man that "in your Amours you should prefer old Women to young ones."

The quoted item is part of the fifth of his reasons.
The last is, "8th & lastly. They are so grateful!!!"

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
The last is, "8th & lastly. They are so grateful!!!"

A guy once told me that he preferred older women because "they can't swell, they won't tell, and they appreciate it like hell".

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe in looking reality straight in the eye and denying it.
Garrison Keillor (1942 - )

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
A guy once told me that he preferred older women because "they can't swell, they won't tell, and they appreciate it like hell".

Scroll about halfway down the Uppity Blues Women site, listen to the 1-minute clip of Middle Age Blues Boogie, and you can hear a variant of that saying. Wink

posted Hide Post
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

Walt Whitman (1819 - 1892), "Song of Myself"

posted Hide Post
This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

Author: The Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
"Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside them was superior to circumstance."
-- Bruce Barton

posted Hide Post
The very essence of leadership is that you have to have vision. You can't blow an uncertain trumpet.

~Theodore Hesburgh

posted Hide Post
"Some men see things as they are and ask, 'why?' I dream things that never were and ask, 'why not?'"
NB: This quote is a paraphrase from a similar quote by G. B. Shaw.
-Robert Francis Kennedy

posted Hide Post
If you can learn from hard knocks, you can also learn from soft touches.

~Carolyn Kenmore

posted Hide Post
Perfect love is rare indeed - for to be a lover will require that you continually have the subtlety of the very wise, the flexibility of the child, the sensitivity of the artist, the understanding of the philosopher, the acceptance of the saint, the tolerance of the scholar and the fortitude of the certain."
-Leo Buscaglia

posted Hide Post
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt, "Citizen in a Republic", April 23, 1910

posted Hide Post
Some luck lies in not getting what you thought you wanted but getting what you have, which once you have got it you may be smart enough to see is what you would have wanted had you known.
Garrison Keillor