Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Y'all read this
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Y'all read this Login/Join

posted

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been informed of places where “y’all” is exclusively second-person-singular. The plural is “y’all all.”

Have we any Suthners here to confirm (or refute)?

Posts: 6266 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
One of the teachers I trained a few years ago used y’all for singular and y’all y’all for plural. He also used y’all’s and y’all y’all’s for the possessive forms. I hope he didn’t teach that to his students.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Nice link, Geoff. I’d argue with this: “Spanish speakers will use "vosotros" or "ustedes" (the former is more informal while the latter is more courteous)”: the fact is, “vosotros,” though de rigueur in Spain, is not used at all in many Latin American countries (& they don’t need it). But it is nice & nerdy to know that in countries where both are used, there’s a distinction.

Hey, they didn’t mention “yiz’l”? PA/ Philly talk of yore, don’t know if it’s still around. I have yet to meet anyone who says “yinz” but then I don’t know many from western PA. Still hear “youse” now & then, from those descended from Brooklynites.

As a gal, I like the idea of “you all” (or y’all) replacing “you guys,” but I think it’s a lost cause. I think what’s actually happening is that “guys” is becoming unisex!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember that "girl" was originally for either sex. EOL notes it: https://www.etymonline.com/word/girl

I don't speak Spanish, but have been exposed to it so much that I recognize lots of it. Never have I heard, "vosotros," whether from Spaniards of New World speakers.

Don't forget about the Charleston yacht maker who threw a party and said, "Yawl come!"

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I had not known that about girl, Geoff.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post