Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Son of Double Dactyls
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Son of Double Dactyls Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Doggedly Doggedly
Shayna our collie is
New to our family and
Boy is she cute!

Scotland's her home and she
Characteristically
Loves to herd cars because
Sheep here are moot.

[Let's hope arnie doesn't read this. Wink]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
She could get a job at our local park herding Canada geese

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
[Let's hope arnie doesn't read this. Wink]

A futile hope!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah well, arnie. Sorry about that. Roll Eyes

Of course some of the strict pronunciators here would criticize the "cute" and "moot" rhyme. I can never cadge a break!

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Higgledy, piggledy
Todd of the "Show-me State"
has for biology
Nothing but scorn.

Counterintuitive
Claim by this congressman:
He is legit because
He did get born.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Bethree, that is great! I was thinking we should talk about the definition of rape here. Is it really possible to have an "illegitimate" rape? I don't think so!

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
This tongue-in-cheek article quoting Northwestern Law's Urban Dic definition (gone viral) implies there's no such thing as legitimate rape under the law, so I guess the question is moot Wink

<Proofreader>
posted
It's legitimate rape if the rapist calls you the next day. Otherwise it's illegitimate.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, of course there is no such thing as "legitimate" rape, Bethree. The Republicans, however, are covering for him and saying he meant to say "statutory" rape and said "legitimate" instead. Statutory rape is consensual, though with an underage woman. I don't buy it at all. I think this is one of the best analyses of what was really going on:
quote:
I'm grateful to Akin because he has forced those who feel strongly about abortion to face the truth: When it comes to abortion, you're either in or you're out. For all the talk about exceptions for rape and incest, for all the hand-wringing about what constitutes "legitimate" sexual violence and whether pregnancy can result from rape, the real issue has nothing to do with rape. The real issue is whether abortion should be legal or illegal.

It's that simple. Guys like Akin know this. The sponsors of the so-called Human Life Amendment, the strict anti-abortion platform that calls for no exceptions and was approved Tuesday by the Republican National Convention's platform committee, know this. Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan know this, too.

<Proofreader>
posted
Without getting political, I think Akin used the term "legitimate" inadvertently. And he wasn't trying to differentiate it from "statutory" rape, either. There appears to be an idea among certain people that there is a differene between "forcible" and "consensual" rape. They believe that if a woman doesn't fight vigorously, then she has consented and must bear (no pun intended) the consequences. But the thought is so incoherent that it is usually not voiced in public, and that is what got Akin in such trouble. He brought the notion to public notice and caused those who otherwise agreed with his statement to immediately vilify him, even though their own views are even more extreme on the subject (i.e, no abortion for any reason).

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
And he wasn't trying to differentiate it from "statutory" rape, either. There appears to be an idea among certain people that there is a differene between "forcible" and "consensual" rape.
Maybe, but that is one of the differences between statutory and regular rape. At least in some cases (the 17 year old "loves" the 24 year old) it is consensual. But I see your point. I am sure those "legitimate" people don't think married women can ever be raped by their husbands (even when he is drunk, controlling, abusive and forceful) or that date rape exists at all.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
see below

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bethree5,

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
When questioned, Akin said he misspoke (re: "legitimate"), meant to say "forcible" rape, a term which was eliminated from a proposed measure backed by Republicans (including Paul Ryan) last year which would have permanently banned Federal funding for abortions [including originally 'forcible rape']. Critics said the term could have exluded victims of statutory rape or cases where the victime was drugged/incapacitated; the term was dropped from the proposed bill.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Oh boo hoo

I can no longer enter a working DD which started:

Willard Mitt Rom-i-ney
Nominee wannabe

Back to the drawing board...

<Proofreader>
posted
Walter Mitt Rom-in-ey
President wannabe

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bethree has thrown out the challenge - so here goes, based on this thread:

Hexily Lexily
Dr. O’Shannessy
Linguist in Michigan
Studies our speech.

Down in Australia he
Found a new language that,
Incomprehensibly,
Little kids teach! (or maybe preach)

These are not easy, are they? It's hardest, I think, to find the 6 syllable, double dactyl person, and I was ecstatic that this linguist was one. But then the rest wasn't easy - and it's not that great. I must get back into the groove of these. Now it's someone else's turn.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Wow, nice one, Kalleh! Guess I missed this while on vacation. Here's mine:

Higgledy piggledy
Rahm I. Emanuel
Always had wanted to give folks a voice

Fifty-four closed schools show
Accountability,
And all the parents have now got "school choice"!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good one, though you'd probably want to divide the last line into two.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
You are so right, looks better too:

Higgledy piggledy
Rahm I. Emanuel
Always had wanted to
Give folks a voice

Fifty-four closed schools show
Accountability,
And all the parents have
Now got "school choice"!

Here's the sequel for Florida:

Higgledy-piggledy
Jeb! Bush the FLA Gov is
Letting his public schools
Go to the dogs

Got street cred? Start a school.
Pitbull and others now
Take your school taxes for
Profiteer hogs

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Pretty good! These are hard, aren't they?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Higgledy Piggledy
Senate Majority
Reid and his colleagues have
Put forth a plan.

Debts will be paid, although
Incontrovertibly,
Shutdowns will happen a-
Gain now in Jan.

Finally the government shutdown is over and the debt ceiling has been raised - but only until the next deadline...

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am reviving a thread about double dactyls that was started in 2004 by CJ. There are only a few of us left from then - and to think we are 14 years older! Some have joined us more recently (Sattva, Bethree) while others have left for various reasons - from being too busy, to losing interest to other venues (FB, OEDILF), to being kicked off for spamming, to leaving in a "fit of temper" (as my mom used to say, to leaving this world altogether. But some of my favorite times here have been writing double dactyls. Shu came up with one this morning and it made me reminisce:

Nominee Domini,
Anthony Kennedy,
Soon will dissociate
From the Supremes,

Sparking a firestorm of
Hyperpolitical
Punditry, ranting, in-
vective and memes.

I do think the critics (CJ for one) would have liked this one - from the first line on. My only nitpicky criticism is that L5 is a bit awkward to me because of how I pronounce "fire" in "firestorm." Enjoy - and maybe write one yourself.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Wow, excellent, Shu!!

I am on vacation now so will try to come up with something.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Rub-a-dub, Sudsy-suds,
Mr Paul Manafort
Currency launderer
Extraordinaire

Can't use a green-friendly
Biodegradable
Soap for his ostrich-coat:
"Dry Clean With Care."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That is wonderful! I haven't written one in a long time, but you have inspired me.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Trumpity Bumpity
Mueller and Cohen and
Manafort have him in
Quite a tight spot.

Busily tweeting and,
Characteristically,
Fault's not admitted, but
Boy is he hot!

Thanks, Bethree for the inspiration.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
All- Right, good one Kalleh!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks - I particularly like the Trumpity Bumpity. It fits perfectly.

Sorrily Sorrily
Senator John McCain
Lost his long battle with
Cancer of brain.

He was a Mensch as he
Stood up for values. I
Enthusiastically
Sing his refrain.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Yes, agree.

Higgledy, Piggledy
Sarah E. Huckabee-
Sanders is caught between
Trump and the press.

She sez, "The prez sez..", then
Irreconcilable
Tweet-storm 180. Next
Briefing: hot mess.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Settled-y, Schmettled-y,
Brett Michael Kavanaugh
Touts: Roe is settled law--
Take it to town.

Senator Booker shows
email where Brett said Roe's
Jurisprudentially
Eas'ly struck down

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow, those are both good! You are dactyly talented. Wink

I was out of town last week on vacation and missed a lot of the news. The Kavanaugh thing actually happened? Geez? I feel like our country is going backward these days.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Kalleh!
I like to think we're nearing the cusp of a pendulum swing...

But.. The polarization we've been seeing for years is, I believe, due to a combination of factors that have been brewing since the late '70's.
It's a result of a degree of inequality we haven't seen since robber-baron days.. How did we get here?

Globalism & automation diminished mfg by 2/3, demoting former working & lower-mid classes down to poor & working-class -- & as corporations outsourced, busting unions & hollowing out the middle class -- & eliminating entry-level corp jobs that once had a career path to upper-middle.

Simultaneously, dereg & tax cuts under Reagan & successors exacerbated situation via $trickle-up, leading to gaping inequality -- and market volatility leading to the Great Recession [but dereg of finance/Wall St was only minimally reined in, so we will have more boom/bust cycles] -- & ushering in the era of pay-to-play legal bribery, bumped up by Cit-United decision to the point where currently, billionaires shape public policy.

Today fed admin says we have recovered from Great Recession & have 'full employment,' but a huge sector of the public works at barely-above-min-wage 'service' jobs -- servicing the 1-10%. Meanwhile - while WallSt's on a bull run cuz all the richies store untaxed assets offshore & focus on offshore labor markets/ consumers - the natl debt is out of hand, & public goods [infrastructure, ed, natl parks/ libraries/ sci research, environment, etc] are dying on the vine.

I am convinced we'll get nowhere until we get the $ out of politics: campaign reform, overturn Cit-United, fix the warped 501(c)3&4 laws that allow corps/ billionaires to run public policy -- for starters. Can't even hope to tax the 1% appropriately -- or see laws written that benefit public good -- until we incentivize congress to work for voting constituents.

End of rant Mad

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Excellent points, and I've heard many of them before. Here's what I don't get - those who haven't recovered, as you say, voted for Donald. But what has he done to help? Lower taxes on the rich and corporations, but wages have only slightly increased. So, will his supporters change and vote for other Republicans or even Democrats? I don't think so. I worry that we've become so divisive and so political - so black and white. There are no moderates these days.

Along these lines, I've noticed that Shu and I talk politics these days - we only rarely did before. Politics are bubbling into daily life. I don't like it.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Hi Kalleh! Dropped the ball, I've been out sick. No, I don't think Trumpista core will change, they are too easily manipulated by their handlers. But they are only 30% of the voting public, which was 58% of eligible voters in 2016 -- so, really only 17%. Analyses agree that deciding factor was Dems not showing up at polls. In a couple of key swing states (OH & WI), new voter ID laws had something to do w/that. But analysts' conclusion is, lukewarm support for HRC (compared to Obama), combined w/mistaken poll predictions that had her far ahead. So, best way out of mess is to get lots more bodies into those poll booths!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, let's hope that changes in the midterms. I am contributing like never before and have signed up to write letters to voters, urging them to vote. This strategy (personal letters) apparently can increase the vote by 3%, which can make a real difference. People have gone out canvassing in the highly GOP areas of IL, and people are saying they've never before had a Dem come to their door. These efforts are important.

I think Heidi Heitkamp is the most important person to donate to (ND) because she stood out on a limb, knowing she was losing in the polls, to vote no for Kavanaugh.

Just a few tidbits for balancing out our Congress.