Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Picton
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Picton Login/Join

posted Hide Post
stella is right about the reason for trying it this way, but it will only work if votes are cast by those outside the group that seemed to be dominating the conmpetition. So, Kalleh (and everyone), I hope you'll let us know which piece(s) you favour.

PS: perhaps you might extend the deadline a bit stella, to encourage more participation?

Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Fine by me. I suppose we don't want it to drag on too long - shall we extend it one more day?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stella:
quote:

... I should have remembered that "i" sound.
After all it does replace pretty much every other vowel. Smile

True, Bob ... except for the letter "i" itself, which is pronounced "uh". Guaranteed way to tell Aussies from Kiwis - ask them to say "fish and chips". Aussies say "feesh and cheeps", Kiwis say "fush and chups". Big Grin

Stop the Presses!!

According to this post, we should be looking at saying

P-UH-CT'N

Now THERE'S some interesting ideas for rhyming words coming to mind?

Posts: 15 | Location: New ZealandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Better than Nantucket

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Aha! Do you think you were sucked in?
This whole puctin’ thing you’d have chucked in;
If only you’d knowuhn
You might well have blowuhn
Me off with a limerick on Cruckton

I've edited the Picton limerick post to extend the judging time to 2000 GMT Tuesday Nov 4.

<Proofreader>
posted
I am limerickally vested
In these games oh so highly contested.
So go toss off your lim
But your prospects are dim,
For, in quantity, I won’t be bested.

<Proofreader>
posted
Young ladies a-dwelling in Cruckton
Make sure that their covers are tucktin.
Still they go to bed nude
And their thoughts are all lewd
In the beds that they hope to get a good night’s sleep in.

You're not catching me being obscene.

posted Hide Post
(wonders how that would look using Picton instead of Cruckton)

quote:
Young ladies a-dwelling in Picton
Make sure that their covers are tucktin.
Still they go to bed nude
In the beds that they hope to get a good night’s sleep in.

Perhaps the covers would have to be ticktin?

Posts: 15 | Location: New ZealandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Young ladies a-dwelling in Picton (Using Lily's pronunciation)
Have more sex than those living in Cruckton,
Since they go to bed nude
They have men to help get a good night’s sleep in

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Last orders!

After you've cast your vote for the next US president would you like to cast one for your favourite limerick? Smile

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I thought these "Winning Words from Those Who Have Lost" were quite appropriate to my ranting about losing; I'll try to learn from them:

'Twenty-two years ago [Stephen] Douglas and I first became acquainted. We were both young then; he a trifle younger than I. Even then, we were both ambitious; I, perhaps, quite as much so as he. With me the race of ambition has been a failure—a flat failure; with him it has been one of splendid success.'

- Abraham Lincoln (1856), who lost the 1858 U.S. Senate campaign to Douglas but defeated him two years later in the campaign for presidency.

'[I feel] something like the boy in Kentucky who stubbed his toe while running to see his sweetheart. The boy said he was too big to cry, and far too badly hurt to laugh.'

- Adlai Stevenson, crediting Lincoln, when he lost his 1952 presidential bid.

'You must never be satisfied with losing. You must get angry, terribly angry, about losing. But the mark of a good loser is that he takes his anger out on himself and not his victorious opponents or on his teammates.'

- Richard Nixon

This is how I should feel when I lose:

'O God, help me to win, but in thy wisdom if thou willest me not to win, then O God, make me a good loser.'

- Sir Robert Baden-Powell, British army officer and founder of the Boy Scouts

However, this is more like I feel:

'Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing'

Vince Lombardi, the legendary Green Bay Packers coach

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stella:
Last orders!

After you've cast your vote for the next US president would you like to cast one for your favourite limerick? Smile

I didn't realise that I could vote for your President. Where's my nearest polling station?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
"It isn't whether you win or lost, but how you played the game. And what you say in the post-game interview."
Proofreader, 2008

Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
I agree with you, Kalleh, it sucks not winning, but it works the other way too. Both timon and I feel awkward that either one of us has won all the contests we’ve entered since we joined and the blind-judging idea was an attempt to mix it up a bit. In fact, timon wasn’t going to enter at all until I said it’d be judged anonymously.

I don’t know what the answer is. I’d like to have known what others thought of the limericks but of course no-one’s obliged to vote so there’s no way of knowing who is or isn’t in agreement with the little band of writer-judges who did. Shall we just assume you all are! Smile

Anyway, for better or worse, here are the results (3pts for 1st choice, 1pt for 2nd choice)

4pts

2. “Nice ass?” Do you say that in Picton?
Here in Wellington we are quite strict on
Making no coarse allusion
To a lady’s protrusion
In the place you’re about to be kicked on. by timon

12.When the cyclonic winds blow in Picton
And the wind slams the doors like they’re kicktin,
If the mains should cut out
Light the lamps, kept no doubt,
With supplies from a dry Kiwi wick tin. by Proofreader

13. A lively young lady of Picton
Had invited her friend Benedict in
For supper – she’d said –
But they soon were in bed;
To eat they’d just opened a quick tin. by timon

3pts

14. Two electoral hopefuls in Picton
Ran a race too close to predict on
Whatever one chose
Made the other oppose
Each loved what he could contradict on. by Bob

16. Visit Seamus’s Bar, downtown Picton,
Where the ladies of night, all lipsticked in
Their high heels and tight tops,
Will pull out all the stops
To exhibit nice spots to get licktin. by Proofreader

2pts

15. A dominatrix who's known to be strict in
The New Zealand town that's called Picton
Said, "I'm sure they enjoy
All the whips I employ
And the pain that I go on inflictin'." by Bob

With 3 limericks tied for first place, I’ve added up individual author’s pts.
timon 8, Proofreader 7, Bob 5.

Well done, timon !! Smile

For the interested I’ll go back and identify the authors of all the limericks on the original post.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll concede, I don't know what's going on. I must not have been reading this thread because I don't get the points. I admit I've been terribly busy and haven't been on Wordcraft much lately.

There are some good ones there, and while apparently mine didn't get any votes, I got quite the chuckle out of it. Wink

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Just to show that I'm still alive, here is the Picton Limerick that I submitted. Apparently it was considered not even good enough to mention, so I'm posting it myself ......

"This limerick, then's about Picton
Which rhymes with itself, as in "Picton."
A ferry godmother
Might choose another
For poets don't often cite Picton."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jerry thomas,

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Oh, Jerry, of course your limerick was posted - you're looking on the wrong page! I thought your limerick was hilarious ... and so true! Smile

Just to clear up the confusion. Over the last two contests (Odessa /Venezuela) the idea of blind judging was raised and (I thought) generally accepted - at least as a trial.

So, the 16 Picton entries were listed (Page 1) without identifying authors and everyone had the opportunity to judge 1st and 2nd choice.

These were the results

Proof - 2 & 13
Lily - 14 & 15
timon - 12 & 15
Richard - 13 & 12
Bob - 16 & 2

That gave us 3 winners - limericks 2, 12 & 13 all got a 1st and 2nd vote - and since two of the winners were written by timon, I awarded him the prize.

OK, it wasn't a great success, with so many limericks and so few voters, but personally, I still like the idea of blind judging, though I'm happy either way - what do you think?

<Proofreader>
posted
I think it is a good idea provided only ONE of a multiple be available for judging. You could submit as many as you wished but you would have to choose the one you want ultimately judged as a possible winner. Allowing multiple entries to be judged did slant the final verdict in favor of those who sent in more than one.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I sure missed all of that and didn't even vote myself.

I have been busy with work and haven't been here much. Whereever you're talking about, I wondered if people (at least Americans) understood the word "frenchie" meaning "condom." I tried to use Kiwi terms, talking about language barriers, but apparently it fell flat on its face.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay. I just found it. I thought it was PICT.in and not PICT.on. Oh well...

Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Ha, Kalleh! It was Pict-in (to me anyway) but since I wasn't judging it didn't matter much - both Pict-ons and Pict-ins were chosen as winners.

The main thing is, PEOPLE, what happens next? Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
The voting idea still seems to me to have advantages, but it is clear that it will only work if there are quite a lot of voters. With so few votes cast, it was almost a matter of chance who came out ahead; and Proofreader turns out to have been right when he suggested that submitting more than one limerick could be advantageous, if only in breaking a tie of votes.

I seem to be stuck with the organization of the next round; as a newcomer to Wordcraft, I'll just do what is asked of me, but I'd suggest going back (at least for the present) to the simple judging method. As soon as I know what's wanted I'll nominate a place-name for rhyming.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll go along either way but I confess to prefering the straight judging method.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I'll go along with whatever system is chosen since my superior limerickicating will put me in an advanterageous position (apologies to President Bush).

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Whoa, I'm a bit foggy-headed this a.m. I guess. This discussion over scoring rules sounds like CSPAN 2 (that's the senators).. or math.. at any rate, eyes glazin' over, here. Are we still votin'? Any challenges? Hangin' chads?

If you're still counting provisional votes, I'll have:
1st Choice #15
2nd Choice #13

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Too late, bethree! Stella posted the results a couple of days ago in this post. Wink

I am only a very occasional entrant to the competition since I'm no real good at composing limericks, but for what it's worth, I vote to go back to the straight judging method as in the past.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
With so few votes cast, it was almost a matter of chance who came out ahead;
I think it was because some of us just didn't know about the voting process. At least I didn't. I checked the thread before the voting, and then afterward when it went to page 2. My fault, of course. I think there has to be a different system if we were to vote for each others.

Like Bob, I prefer the single system, too, but I could live with the other, as long as I know when the voting is. After all, I'd like mine to get at least 1 vote. Wink

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
As one more step in a long series of steps toward getting certified as a Teacher in the Public Schools of the State of Colorado, I took a course entitled "Evaluation of Achievement."

The professor had grown very liberal in his old age, and he let us members of the class discuss and decide what method would be used for evaluating our achievement in that course. The discussion was still going on when that school term ended, and the decision was never made. All of us received "A" grades.

Maybe that's why Grading was always my biggest problem as a Teacher.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks as though no-one is going to object to the simple judging method being used this time round, so here is your place name:
Toulouse (pronunciation: too-LOOZ)
There should be less difficulty in finding rhymes than for some previous rounds.
I suggest that submissions be made before the end of Tuesday (midnight UK time), unless extensions are requested.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
Too late, bethree! Stella posted the results a couple of days ago in this post. Wink

Har, har >snort< I sound like the Dormouse. This simple-minded limericker is relieved that we're taking a regular-voting break.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
This simple-minded limericker is relieved that we're taking a regular-voting break.

Has anyone any objections to the Electoral College route?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
quote:
This simple-minded limericker is relieved that we're taking a regular-voting break.

Has anyone any objections to the Electoral College route?

I think the real problem may be campaign funding.

In the meantime, I've opened a new thread for Toulouse.