Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game: Larrikin
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game: Larrikin Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
While I expect arnie to know this one, if Jo knows it I'll swear off this game!

Any larrikins around here? Send me your daffynitions via PM!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Ha--Asa, that was my goal too. Don't set yourself up for a fall. Just realize that there are people here who know all the words!

My daffynition is on its way.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suspect Jo and Arnie are excellent guessers, probably based on their extensive knowledge of words.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weel then, I sent my daffynition via PM, but I suspect I will not be answering on this one. I wouldn't want Asa to stop playing.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jo:
Weel then, I sent my daffynition via PM, but I suspect I will not be answering on this one. I wouldn't want Asa to stop playing.

That must mean that you know what it means! You could always guess wrong on purpose... Wink

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a matter of fact, I don't. Not this time. But if I make a lucky guess, Asa will...pout. And I don't want to be the source of pouting. LOL

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
C'mon, Crafty Old Iowan! You're the one who makes the game so competitive. I'll have to spend the rest of my life trying to catch up with you!

Wordmatic

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, for heaven's sake, vote, Jo. We'll handle Asa. Wink

posted Hide Post
Heh, heh, heh....

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Oh, great - someone's changed the PM format, and I can't access it! Kalleh, please take over this game. That way Jo can select the right answer and I won't go crazy (er)

I'll e-mail you the correct answer.

posted Hide Post
Um.... (blush) (sob)

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
someone's changed the PM format

Huh? Confused
PMs are the same as always.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:

PMs are the same as always.

Damn! It's bad enough that I occasionally hallucinate, but you're telling me my computer's hallucinating too!?!? A dialog box popped up asking me to "invite" people to my PM, and I couldn't work around it. Soooo, until I get rid of this piece of !*(%#, you others will have to take over this game. Sorry.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Er... it's always done that hasn't it? You just click on the names you want to invite to your PM. That's how you choose who it's to.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Asa, I sent you a PM with my definition.

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Nice to se you again, Trossl! However, I'm having computer problems again, and have asked Kalleh to take over this round. All you who have sent daffynitions to me, please resend them to her.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I SHALL replace this @!(&^%%@ as soon as possible!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
TrossL, it is nice seeing you again, and I love your avatar. What would kids do without Dr. Seuss? Asa, I am happy to do whatever you'd like with this.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
OK, everybody re-send your daffynitions to Kalleh.

Thanks!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
A dialog box popped up asking me to "invite" people to my PM

You must have clicked on 'create a new PM'.
To see your list of PMs click Go > Peronal Zone > Private messaging.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
Resent mine to Kalleh. If Asa sorts things out, I suppose she could just ignore it.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

posted Hide Post
Sent my daffynition to Kalleh via PM.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, let me know if you received the PMs and want to post them, or if you want me to. Obviously I can't guess on this one (Asa has given me the definition), but my daffynition wasn't half bad, I don't think. Wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, Asa wants me to do it. So far I have daffynitions from Myth Jellies, SockPuppet, BobHale, Hab, Wordmatic, CW, Asa, and Kalleh. Anyone else? Jo, how about sending yours again? I will post them tomorrow. Sorry for the delay, and thanks for your patience!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
{Sigh} I've re-sent mine.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, I think you're allowed to put in one of your own just to add to the mix and the confusion.

Wordmatic

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here we go...

1. Larrikin - Rebel or iconoclast.

2. Larrikins - Garish lawn ornaments, such as plastic pink flamingos.

3. Larrikin - A utilitarian boot with small heels used as riding boots during the American Civil War, named after Union General Joshua Lawrence (Larry) Chamberlain who made them popular.

4. Larrikin - A ruffled shirt worn under a doublet in 16th century Europe.

5. Larrikins - leather leggings worn by medieval knights under their armor, for additional protection.

6. Larrikin - A dialect word for a newly born lamb.

7. Larrikin - A small ground feeding bird found only in the Australian outback.

8. Larrikin - A short leather rope or whip. also One who administers punishment using a whip.

9. Larrikins - Footwear made of deerskin. Very similiar to mocassins.

10. Larrikin - A measure of shorn wool from sheep used until about the fourteenth century: equivalent to half a stone.

11. Larrikin - A mythical gnome-like creature said to haunt the woods of British Columbia, Canada, and Washington State. Finding one and holding onto it for a full minute is supposed to bring good luck.

We've got some great ones this time! Our thanks go to Asa for this wonderful word.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

posted Hide Post
never mind my PM, Kalleh. I'm tired, and old. LOL

I'll vote later.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah...now I see this. Okay, Jo. I haven't been at the top of my game on this one, I am afraid!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, it will make life a little easier if you go back and number them...

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I realized I had forgotten that. Done!

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Nearly every one of these sounds like the real definition. I'll have to retire to my cave and meditate for awhile on this one (not to mention put in a day's work at the office).

Wordmatic

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Can I try 4, please?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It has been a whole day, and there's one lousy guess? Get a move on, folks! Mad

posted Hide Post
I'll take number 5 for 200 Alex.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll guess 8.

Wordmatic

posted Hide Post
I'm waiting....

posted Hide Post
I'm with BH - I'll take a stab at Number 4

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short and sweet - number 1.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, that's a good start...but come on, people! Even if you didn't send a daffynition, please guess. Remember, neither Asa nor I can guess.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
One for me and all for one.

posted Hide Post
well, this is difficult, because now that Arnie has voted... but I'm taking one also.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Only seven have voted? Come on, folks! After all this work, I need more than 7 votes!

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
If you want me to vote twice, I'll vote for the one with the gnomes!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Gnome matter how many times you vote - only the first one counts!

Hmmmm, are there any Gnostic gnomic gnomes who use gnomons? Confused Do they read Gnome Chomsky?

posted Hide Post
Um, as an Aussie, I would have to vote for NONE of those choices. Wink
( blushing.....apologies, I think I missed the rules for this game.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jenesis,

Posts: 1 | Location: Texas, for the nonceReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Hi, Jenesis--welcome to Wordcraft!

The Bluffing Game is just like the Dictionary Game, if you've ever played that, or Balderdash. Somebody picks an obscure word and asks us to submit made-up definitions via private message. Once the person who started the game gets enough fake definitions, he or she puts them all in a list, along with the real definition, and then we all vote for the one we think is the real one.

Of course, just as in the face-to-face version, no fair looking it up before the game is over. It's all based on guesswork and what you know of word roots. Some people on this board are linguists and fluent in several languages, so it's almost impossible to find a word so obscure that they can't figure it out--but it's still fun, and especially because usually the definitions are either devious or hilarious.

You're allowed to vote even if you didn't enter a definition, so take a stab.

Wordmatic

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Good to see a new member here, Jenesis!

I started this round, so if the right definition is NOT in the list, I'm the one to scold! I had to relinquish control of the game when my computer went insane, with me doing likewise shrotly thereafter. I've just switched to Firefox, so maybe all will be well. Time will tell...

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Welcome, jenesis! You can tell us if we've gotten the definition wrong then...because this is Australian slang. Asa posted this lovely word, though had to pull out because of computer problems, so I finished it.

I am bringing this one (winning the award for the longest and most complicated Bluffing Game!) to an end, folks. Let's all give Asa, our King of the Bluffing Game, a big applause! Asa started this very popular game way back in 2002. Here goes...

1. Rebel or iconoclast - The real definition. It is Australian slang for a rebel or iconoclast. Guessed by Myth, Arnie, and Jo.

2. Garish lawn ornaments, such as plastic pink flamingos - Kalleh's submission, with no takers. And she is not speaking to any of you for a month! Mad

3. A utilitarian boot with small heels used as riding boots during the American Civil War, named after Union General Joshua Lawrence (Larry) Chamberlain who made them popular. Guessed by no one; CW's submission (I'd have taken this one.)

4. Larrikin - A ruffled shirt worn under a doublet in 16th century Europe. Guessed by Bob and Hab; Wordmatic's creative submission (I'm still trying to figure out what a "doublet" is. Wink)

5. Larrikins - leather leggings worn by medieval knights under their armor, for additional protection. Hab snookered our SockPuppet...who in turn is snookering us!

6. Larrikin - A dialect word for a newly born lamb. Bob's cute submission and so close to lambkin, but no takers.

7. Larrikin - A small ground feeding bird found only in the Australian outback. Jo's Aussie submission, but no takers.

8. Larrikin - A short leather rope or whip. also One who administers punishment using a whip. And what was on Myth's mind? Wink Just ask Wordmatic, who guessed it!

9. Larrikins - Footwear made of deerskin. Very similiar to mocassins. I believe this was from SockPuppet (our snookerer!), but that PM seems to be deleted...no takers.

10. Larrikin - A measure of shorn wool from sheep used until about the fourteenth century: equivalent to half a stone. Arnie guessed right, so he's still a winner, even though no one chose his submission.

11. Larrikin - A mythical gnome-like creature said to haunt the woods of British Columbia, Canada, and Washington State. Finding one and holding onto it for a full minute is supposed to bring good luck. Asa's...which would have been a close second for me; no takers

There you have it, Wordcrafters! Read it and weep, as my mother used to say.

Will you be our next wordmeister, jenesis? I know you're so new, but I will help you. We'd love it! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've known several Aussies and I doubt that any would define a larrikin as simply a 'Rebel or iconoclast'. It has much deeper overtones. The second definition in The Macquarie Book of Slang is much closer to the real meaning: a good-natured but independent or wild-spirited person, usually having little regard for authority, accepted values, etc. (My emphasis) In essence, it is the spirit of Australia. I'd be interested in the thoughts of our Australian contingent about this.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Actually, I fell for the Jellies' Myth--I voted for #8 and there was absolutely nothing on or in my mind at the time!

WM