Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluff game part 3
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluff game part 3 Login/Join

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted
MAJOR FRUSTRATION!!

Sorry to be a day late with this but computer woes thwarted me yesterday and continue today. Don't know if it's the new system or (more likely) my computer and/or ineptness but I find that the Reply button doesn't work for me, the Edit icon doesn't always appear and/or work, and that everything takes 10 times longer than usual. As I say, it's probably me...

I almost had that last entry from the previous thread complete before it somehow decided to post itself. The very last part of #6 should read:

#6 ...(also known as the "clammy azalea," or the "swamp honeysuckle.")

There! Almost an hour for 10 lousy words but I wouldn't want anyone complaining that my lack of computer skills screwed things up.

Answer, say, next Wednesday (assuming I don't pitch this whole set-up out the window!)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I feel your frustration, CJ! Wink Sorry!

# 2

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Standings:

Arnie - 29 (seems awfully high but I didn't bother to go back and recalculate each and every contest.) (grumble, grumble...)

Kalleh - 18 (I ought to dock her a point or two for all her "Oh, I'm no good at contests" B.S.!)

Asa - 17

Chris (AKA CJ) - 14.5 (and fading fast)

KHC - 11.5 (and rising rapidly)

Bob Hale - 10

Shufitz - 6 (which includes his 2 points earned in the "yirn" contest but not included when Kalleh compiled the last standings. Trouble in Paradise, guys?)

Jerry Thomas - 4 (a late starter but now on the charts with a bullet)

Winterbranch - 4

Wordnerd - 3

Haberdasher - 1

Hic et Ubique, R.E. & TrossL - minus 2 each for not playing (negative points will be cancelled out as soon as you get with the program.)

Asa PM'ed me to say I had jumped in with this latest challenge just as he was about to sit down at the keyboard so I suppose he should be up next. (Unless, of course, someone else jumps in first.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chris J. Strolin,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
So, what are the answers, CJ? Confused

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, the answers are posted as the last (I should think) entry in the previous Bluff Game thread.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It hadn't been yet posted when I looked. I should have seen you were still on the board and guessed you were in the throes of composition.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sorry, the answers are posted as the last (I should think) entry in the previous Bluff Game thread.

CJ, even the most simple things are complicated with you! Razz

I am relieved that Asa is up next, as he is quickly catching up to me! [And, then, of course, there is my husband to contend with...]

And, CJ, I have never said I am not good at this game. However that new Linking Quiz game I genuinely stink at. My problem is that I like to win! However, with this board of geniuses it is never possible!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy in the old thread:

quote:
C.J, I still can't start a new thread, so I'll post a new word here, and beg you to transfer it to a new thread - pretty pleeeeease.

The next word is Codon

Put on your stinking - er, thinking caps, and e-mail the daffynitions to me at ama11285@hevanet.com. I don't trust this new board to nuttify me of new PMs, so please e-mail them to me.

I've also made your email address a link to make it easier to reply.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Thanks for making the link, Arnie!

Thusfar I've only received definitions from KHC and Kalleh. If others have sent them, the spam filter may have eaten them or something, so send again with "Codon" as the subject, or "Bluff Game" as the subject. I'll wait until I have at least six replies before posting them.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, can you pick up private messages? Perhaps people have private-messaged you.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
OK, my definition is on its way

Bob

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Asa,

I sent my definition on 16 April with "Codon" as the subject, so you should have received it by now. I'm at work at the moment but when I get back home I'll re-send it -- I can't remember the exact wording now. Thinking back, I don't think I indicated that it came from "arnie" - my real name is Alan Palmer.

By the way, what is the nature of your problem with private messages? I get almost immediate advice by e-mail for all private messages to me. If you have a rigorous spam filter set it is possibly filtering out the PM advices from the Wordcraft site -- assuming you have it set to advise you anyway. You can check by clicking on Go > My Space > Notifications.

EDIT: I've now sent you my definition again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

posted Hide Post
Just sent a new and improved definition. I had sent something off already but it was a bit lame.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Got yours, arnie, Bob's, KHC's, Kalleh's and CJ's. I'll wait for one or two more before posting them.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I sent mine by Private Message, and a few hours later, "just in case," I sent the same definition by e-mail.

If neither has been received, I give up.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'll post what I've got tomorrow (Tuesday) evening at 9:00 pm pacific daylight saving time, which I think is GMT minus 7 hours.

Last call for CODON!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Here are the definitions for CODON:

1: A fragment of a codex, or ancient hand-written, manuscript, but without sewn binding.

2:Substance abuse councelor shorthand for a love interest of a patient who is not in a committed relationship with him or her. "Co-Dependent, OverNight."

3 (Expletive) success!! (From Old Norse kawt-one

4: A thread of three nucleotides forming a genetic code for DNA.

5: A flabby, bottom-dwelling fish found in deep waters world-wide. It can walk along the sea floor on its short, leg-like fins.

6: A wooden chest containing holy relics, often bones but sometimes holy scriptures, kept in the reliquary of a chapel.

OK, start guessing!

posted Hide Post
Asa,
I do not know if we are public or private posting votes...
my life is in shambles lately.

However, I vote for #4.... May the force be with me!

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Asa,

You don't appear to have included my definition. Confused

My second e-mail got rejected by your server; something about protocol problems. However, since you said above that you'd got my definition, I didn't worry. FWIW, mine was the one about the basic units of computer code.

Like KHC, I like No. 4 best.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Much as I like 4 just to be different I'll go 1.

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Four (4) seems best.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Oh, mercy, arnie - I goofed, flubbed, and made a major faux-pas! Not that it will matter to the standings, being that you're sooooooo far ahead, but, still, no fun not to see the fruits of your intellectual labour! So, haul out the flagellum and -

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I, too, will vote for Number FOUR.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Arnie, I hate to complain but you seem to have pared down my definition considerably. For some reason roughly 40% of it didn't make the cut, not that it would have made any difference in this case.

#1 and #6 both sound reasonable but, although I admit to not knowing this word myself, it seems that several other Wordcrafters do. Rather than risk insulting their intelligence by voting against them, I too will opt for answer #4.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately (especially because CJ may keep up with me!), I will have to sit this one out. While I didn't know what it meant, I received an e-mail from someone here that gave away the definition.

posted Hide Post
In that case, I want to vote for #4 twice!

posted Hide Post
I'll pick # 4.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asa,
Why is everyone behind me? Like I'm the Pied Piper... I haven't picked a correct answer yet!Smile Too bad this isn't the lottery and I might win some money.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Well, folks, I bolloxed this one badly. I never did find the replies from jheem, lost arnie's, and probably prejudiced Kalleh's. I'll leave it up to the rest of you to decide whether to cancel this round, but hre's who wrote what:
1. I wrote it in place of arnie's missing one.
2.CJ
3. Jerry
4. KHC (The correct definition)
5. Kalleh
6. Bob Hale

Most of you voted for #4, so you get points for guessing correctly
KHC gets points for submitting the right definition.

Bob Hale guessed #1, so I'll award that oint to arnie for fooling Bob, since I submitted that definition in place of his missing one.

Now it's time for me, despite having originated this game here, to get the heck outa town and let those of you who know how to play take over.

Asa the idiot

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good grief, Asa, you're not an idiot, and we love you playing this game. It wouldn't be the same without you! Lord knows, we all make loads of mistakes here! Don't give it another thought.

I don't think we should cancel it, but I also don't agree with CJ that we should start over with points. Arnie and the rest of us worked hard for those points! Wink

My question, though, is how to score when someone posts the correct definition and everyone chooses it? I guess KHC should get 6 points and arnie 1?

Should we make a rule that if you know the definition, you should still make up a fake one, and then just pick the correct one when they are all posted?

Can I, pretty please, do the next word? Cool Bob, you have done 2 by now, right?

posted Hide Post
Kalleh,
I vote you are In Charge of the next Bluffing Game..! Continue to give me more points...Smile

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Now, I must look for a word that none of you know, which isn't at all easy. I must remember, this time, not to pick one that has a Latin etymology (because of arnie!). I will post it tomorrow sometime.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, folks. After a lot of searching, I have come up with:

macarism

I will give you a few days to send me either a PM or an e-mail of the definition. Now, if perchance you know it ( Mad), then please post a fake definition anyway. You will get the 2 points for getting the correct definition, and you may fool a couple people along the way. That's how arnie built up his lead! I will post the scores after this game, and I am not taking CJ's suggestion of starting over. Razz

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's how arnie built up his lead!
That only happened once; with quisquilious I happened to know the word, but the others I got right were guesses.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It just had to be my word, didn't it? Roll Eyes

There is a difference between a blind guess and an educated guess. I am sure your guesses were the latter.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have heard from 3 people....Bob, arnie and Jerry. I need some more definitions!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Perhaps this game is on its last legs? Now, I have 4 definitions. When, and if, I get 6, I will post the definitions.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Finally!
Perhaps this game is dying out for the time being? The definitions have been slow to come! Here they are:

1) Ritual scarification.

2) The rhythmic nodding of the head or shaking of the extremities brought about by a wide range of neurological dysfunctions including Parkinson's Disease and Winnetka Syndrome. First described in Chicago by visiting physician Sir Gordon Terrace in the 1880's.

3) Pleasure in another's joy.

4) A variety of small flat sweet cake (`biscuit' is the British term).

5) 12th century heretical Christian doctrine rejecting the Old Testament and deleting from the New Testament all references supporting it.

6) The habit of paying unusual attention to the heart. From Irish Gaelic mo chroí [pron. "ma-cree"] the heart.

posted Hide Post
Sorry, Kalleh, I never sent in a definition...

But I vote for #2.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
6 please

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I take great pleasure in joyfully casting my vote for Number ........ THREE

~~~ jerry

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa sent me a PM that he is picking # 5.

posted Hide Post
I'll round out the field by going for #1. The strategy, of course, is that if all the answers are chosen, Kalleh will end up pointless.

(And no, that's not a straight line setting up a smart aleck remark at K.'s expense.)

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
No. 3) for me.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, folks, here are the answers:

1) Ritual scarification - Asa (CJ picked this)

2) The rhythmic nodding of the head or shaking of the extremities brought about by a wide range of neurological dysfunctions including Parkinson's Disease and Winnetka Syndrome. First described in Chicago by visiting physician Sir Gordon Terrace in the 1880's. (Who else but CJ?) (KHC picked this)

3) Pleasure in another's joy - Hutchinson's Dictionary of Difficult Wrods; Forthrights (Sic) Phrontistery - Dictionary of Obscure Words; and Luciferous Logolepsy - (Arnie and Jerry got it right Mad)

4) A variety of small flat sweet cake (`biscuit' is the British term). - Arnie

5) 12th century heretical Christian doctrine rejecting the Old Testament and deleting from the New Testament all references supporting it. - Bob (Asa picked this)

6) The habit of paying unusual attention to the heart. From Irish Gaelic mo chroí [pron. "ma-cree"] the heart - Jerry (Bob picked this)

Now, I must tell you that the first word I did for this, "quisquilious," Arnie knew. He suggested that, in the future, I not use words with a Latin etymology. So, I didn't; "macarism" has a Greek etymology. However, this time Arnie wrote me (again familiar with the word), saying he knew it because of the Greek root! Oy vey! May I please have Arnie on my team when we play Balderdash at our Wordcraft Get-together? Razz

Shall we continue playing, or shall we give this game a rest for awhile? I am happy to suggest another wordmaster, but it seemed a little harder this time getting replies.

When I've more time, I will post the scores.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Actually, I knew it because of Kalleh's fascination with epicaricacy. Whilst not exactly an antonym, I did find it mentioned in the same breath, as it were. I can't remember now where I came across it -- I had an idea it might even have been mentioned here in the forum, but a search doesn't throw it up.

I was only pulling Kalleh's leg about the Greek origin - that language is all Greek to me. Roll Eyes

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Whilst not exactly an antonym, I did find it mentioned in the same breath, as it were. I can't remember now where I came across it -- I had an idea it might even have been mentioned here in the forum, but a search doesn't throw it up.
Obviously, arnie, that was precisely why I chose that word....that, and also because it only appears in a few dictionaries of obscure words. However, I did think it to be an antonym of "epicaricacy." I also searched our forum for it because I had wondered if we had used it.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Epicaricacy means, of course, "taking pleasure in the misfortunes of others". A true antonym (anepicaricacy? --ugh!) would mean "not taking pleasure in the misfortunes of others". That is not the same as "pleasure in another's joy".

posted Hide Post
pardon me for butting in to your game thread, but I think that this definition is quite a stretch for macarism.

that Really Big Dictionary (which seems to garner some disapprobation hereabouts) has the usual meaning as "beatitude" (a declaration or ascription of special blessedness) and cites a rare sense as "the ascription of happiness to a person"; e.g., "Someone whose own standards of macarism were different from those current in his society might use ‘happy’, in scare-quotes so to say, to mean ‘what most people count happy, that is rich’."

edit: I should add that this comes from an online update to OED2 (draft entry Mar. 2000).

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, thanks, tsuwm for that clarification. Actually, I did see that one of the definitions was "beatitude," and I almost used that. However, in my dictionary it was the second definition so I thought it not the best. I should have checked OED as those specialty dictionaries are sometimes unreliable (not yours, of course! Wink)