Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    All the World is a Pun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All the World is a Pun Login/Join

Picture of C J Strolin
posted
In another thread, Asa posed the question "Why did the gambler go to Lhasa?" and then provided the entirely sensible answer "Because he liked Tibet."

Unfortunately, the thread had to do with phobias. Rather than commandeer that thread, what do you say we start a new one to follow Asa's lead. Geographical punning, anyone??

Asa, after we finish our sweet and sour pork, what do you say we go out and Taiwan on?

As the Parisian visiting Africa said while observing the locals at work, "Zaire but for ze grace of God, go I."

Question: Who was that multi-millionaire llama with big ears who ran for the U.S Presidency?
Answer: Ross Peru.

(Countries no longer existent may be used) The underworked handyman in Prague complained "All I have to do today is Czechoslovacuum cleaner."

Before I'm accused of taking all the "good" countries, I'll toss this over to the rest of y'all.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
13 views and no replies!! Once again I find myself in the minority regarding what I think might be fun. Oh, well...

You say you can't think of a geographical pun? I don't Bolivia! You can do it! You just have to Belize in yourself! If you can't think of a real good one, Denmark down whatever comes to mind.

I heard Boris Becker is ill. He caught a Germany missed two tournaments

(an oldie but a goodie from way back: )
1st man: I just sent my wife to the most beautiful island in the world.
2nd man: Jamaica?
1st man: Oh, no! She wanted to go!

And, lastly, a topical one:
Question: What do you do when the United Nations is slow in giving you the go-ahead to start a war?
Answer: You don't attack, Kuwait.

B.H. & R.E., I am appointing you joint-Kings of this thread. It is your responsibility now to get things humming.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I remember an Eastern European who terminated her pregnancy, producing a cancelled Czech.

When the Romanian woman's car refused to go into gear, her husband queried, "What's wrong with your trans, Sylvania?"

How do we get to the capital of Senegal? We go in Dakar.

And, or course, George Bush says of Jacques Chirac, "European on my war."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Asa, after we finish our sweet and sour pork, what do you say we go out and Taiwan
on?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, CJ, did you know that the most common personality type in Formosa is Taipei ?

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Great idea for this thread, CJ.

An old song is running through my head. It went something like, "What did Delaware to the party? She wore a New Jersey."

Can't remember any more of it, but I'm pretty sure my wife will. Remind me, and Alaska about it tomorrow.

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
PS: It is an odd geographical fact that the states of Kansas and Missouri each have a major city named Kansas City.

Thus proving that even when you're stuck in Kansas City, you don't have to be Missourible about it.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Oh what did Del-a-ware boy, what did Delaware
What did Del-a-ware boy, what did Delaware
She wore a brand New Jersey,
That's what she did wear

One, two, three, four
Oh, why did Cali-fon-ia
Why did Cali-fon
why did Cali-fon-ia
Was she all alone
She called to say Ha-wa-ya
That's why she did call

Uno, deis, tre, quatro
Oh what did Missi sip boy
What did Missi sip
What did missi sip
Through her pretty lips
She sipped a Minne sota
She sipped a Minne sota
She sipped a Minne sota
That's what she did sip
Where has Oregon boy
Where has Oregon
If you wan Al-ask-a
Go ahead and ask her
She went to pay her Texas
That's where she has gone

Well how did Wis-con-sin boy
She stole a New-brass-key
Too bad that Arkan saw boy
And so did Tenne-see
It made poor Flori-di boy
It made poor Flori-di, you see
She died in Miss-our-I boy
She died in Miss-our-I
Oh what did Del-a-ware boy, what did Delaware...

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
So, CJ, did you know that the most common personality type in Formosa is Taipei ?

Best one yet, Asa! (although, just to be precise about it, Taiwan hasn't been Formosa for many years now)

Along similar lines, those in the states who resent the fact that California tends to lead the nation in regards to trends and such refer to this phenomenon as the "Californication" of the country.

posted Hide Post
Any Marks Brothers fan knows that elephant tusks are tightly attached to the skull, except in Alabama, where the Tuscaloosa.

And then there was the letter that was addressed to

Wood
Mr.
Mass.

The postal service, after some reflection, delivered it to "Mr. Underwood, Andover, Mass(achusetts)".

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Taiwan hasn't been Formosa
for many years now)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Euthanasia :: Youth in Asia

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can't remember any more of it, but I'm pretty sure my wife will. Remind me, and Alaska about it tomorrow.

Finally got around to asking her. She looked at me with an evil twinkle in her eye and said, "Why, don't Juneau?"

C'mon CJ, chime in. This thread has potential. Wink

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I just learned that ancient Bulgaria vanished without a Thrace.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Hey, CJ, did I do something wrong? Where'd everybody go?

Lonely Asa

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Asa's right, CJ. Oman! Has some anonyMuscat got your tongue? You Dubai into this, don't you?

[This message was edited by shufitz on Mon Mar 3rd, 2003 at 19:49.]

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Indiana is called the Hoosier State, though nobody really knows why. When sports teams are losing by large deficits and the fans (young clods) don't have anything else to yell, the hooligans will often yell, "Hoosier daddy!"

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Indiana is called the Hoosier State, though nobody really knows why.
==================================
Perhaps because it sounds nicer than Hoser? Roll Eyes

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Be glad you're in Indiana, Kalleh; I'm stuck here in the "Beaver State," and I don't get any more here than elsewhere! I know there's a pun about that operation I had turning me into a nutria here, but darned if I can find it...

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hic et ubique:
C'mon CJ, chime in. This thread has potential. Wink

I agree but why are you asking me to chime in?

I left this thread in the capable (I thought) hands of PunMasters R.E. and B.H. in the assumption that they would pick up the Bali and run with it.

And no, Asa, everything's fine. I didn't answer before this only because I pulled a cerebral hamstring trying to compose a double dactyl on another thread.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:
I left this thread in the capable (I thought) hands of PunMasters R.E. and B.H. in the assumption that they would pick up the Bali and run with it.

My lawyers will be in touch.

Vescere bracis meis.

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I pulled a cerebral hamstring trying to compose a double dactyl

Considering the frequent location of my head, I would have pulled a cerebral gluteus maximus, so be glad that's all you did!

Now, is a double dactyl a pair of ancient flying lizards, Ptairadactyls?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa--get thee to the double dactyl thread posthaste! Big Grin

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Me: Kalleh, you're heterosexual, right?
Kalleh: Yep, Isle of Man!

"Bhutan up your overcoat, when the wind is free..."

Where do I get m' milk? From Macao, of course!
Kenya come up with a worse pun than that?
Norway!

(I only came back to this thread because my damn double dactlys are turning on me!)

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
CJ: Kalleh, you're heterosexual, right?
Kalleh: Yep, Isle of Man!

posted Hide Post
My son's favorite joke when growing up:

Q: Where's Moscow?

A: In the barn, next to pa's cow!

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Actually, a lot of people don't know where the Isle on Man is.

Well, here's a clue - it's nowhere near the Virgin Islands

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Lewis Carroll:

There was a young lady of station,
"I love man!" was her sole exclamation;
When the men said, "You flatter,"
She replied, "Oh! no matter."
Isle of Man is the true explanation.

PS: Isn't that where the manx cat-breed comes from?
(PPS: "manx minx among monks"? Shaking my head in bemused awe. Try saying that 5 times quickly, especially if you substitute "amongst".)

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
"Doctor Harris!! 'Isle of Man'!! It's... It's a COOKBOOK!!!

Two points to the first person to correctly identify this misquotation. (Heh, heh...)

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Said CJ:Bhutan up your overcoat, when the wind is free...

posted Hide Post
Quite correct.

The best ones are "rumpies" which have nothing but a hollow where the tail would normally be. Those that have interbred may have a very small tail and they are known as "stumpies"

Those with just half a tail have probably been playing "last across" during TT fortnight!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Excellent! And a new person (?) got it!

The Twilight Zone episode in question, when you really examined it, really made no sense for one major reason applicable to this forum. The term "to serve" would have to have the same double meaning in both English and in the language of the Cannabits which, obviously, would be a bit of a long shot.

My "Doctor Harris" was a guess since I really don't remember the guy's name but the huge benevolent (or so everyone thought) beings were called either "Cannabits" (accent on second syllable) or something extremely close to that. I remember reading a review suggesting that the term was coined to resemble "cannibal." Either way, it was one of the best episodes ever aired.

For the sake of trivia, the main Cannabit was played by the same guy who later played the James Bond villian "Jaws," the 7+ foot tall guy with metal teeth.

Welcome aboard (or is it "back"?) Revenant! (def: "One who returns after a long absence" [interesting] or "One who returns from the dead" [interesting-er!])

posted Hide Post
Welcome aBoard Revenant! So happy to have a new voice! Big Grin

CJ, I agree, that was a wonderful episope of The Twilight Zone.

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I never saw the Twilight Zone episode, but I do remember reading the original short story, by Damon Knight. See http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook45.htm

A synopsis of the Twilight Zone episode is at http://members.cox.net/kaiotea/serveman.htm

Note that the alien is called a Kanamit, not a Cannabit.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
the alien is called a Kanamit, not a Cannabit.

I thought that cannabit was the stuff Bill Clinton didn't inhale, even though he can - a bit.

posted Hide Post
The Manx Parliament, the House of Keys, is claimed to be the World's oldest legislature.

All beer brewed in the Isle of Man must confirm with Manx purity standards (which are similar to those of the Bavarian Reinheitsgebot). Chemical concoctions like A-B Budweiser cannot be brewed in the Island (although sadly they can be sold there).

Richard English

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
Note that the alien is called a _Kanamit_, not a Cannabit.

Quite right. If you check my post on this I said it was either Cannabit or something like it. I was going just on memory, being too lazy (or, really, not wanting to bother spending the time) to google the episode up to confirm the spelling.

On a similar note: It's odd but studies have shown that children today are losing their understanding of the concept of "clockwise" vs. "counter-clockwise" (or, again just from memory and this time based on some British spy movie of the 60's, "anti-clockwise" in UK English) largely because of the way wristwatches with digital faces have so greatly replaced those with rotating hands. But take this thought to its next logical step. I believe it would be a sad thing if the power of human memory was similarly diminished over time simply because it became so easy to rely on search engines.

Now there's a Twilight Zone episode waiting to be written.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:
(or, again just from memory and this time based on some British spy movie of the 60's, "_anti_-clockwise" in UK English)

This time your memory doesn't play you false. Over here it is indeed anticlockwise (usually spelled with no hyphen).

Vescere bracis meis.

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect that this worry has been around ever since the invention of writing and the gradual increase of literacy.

I suppose the benefit is that we can now be a little more selective in what we try to remember, secure in the knowledge that forgetfulness need not mean complete loss - providing we have taken the trouble to record the data.

Richard English

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I expect that when The Iliad and The Odyssey were first written down, ancient poets complained about the fact that it was no longer necessary to remember every line...

posted Hide Post
I just watched (no, don't ask me why) the movie "The Naked Gun 2 1/2" which is a satirical movie. I spotted in one crowd scene, actor Lloyd Bochner, who played Michael Chambers in the above mentioned episode of The Twilight Zone. He was running around with a copy of the book "To Serve Man". Sorry, I just had to laugh, and share that with you! Big Grin

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Quote: "...I believe it would be a sad thing if the power of human memory was similarly diminished over time simply because it became so easy to rely on search engines..."
Quote of response: "I suspect that this worry has been around ever since the invention of writing and the gradual increase of literacy."

With calculators ubiquitous, will the next generation know how to multiply and divide (let alone add and subtract) with pencil and paper? Before you answer a quick "yes," consider: does anyone still know how to compute a square root by pencil and paper?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Lloyd Bochner,
=======================

Wow! I hadn't heard of him in thirty years! He was one of those character actors who was almost ubiquitous, but rarely noticed.