Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emoticons Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
While on a UK-based model airplane newsgroup I noticed that the number of emoticons used there is less than on the US equivalent ng. Is this an example of "British reserve," or is there another explanation for it?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, Asa, I am not British, but I suspect you are right on that. I have noticed that the English posters don't seem to use, or like, emoticons as much as Americans do. I realize that's a generalization, and maybe it's just the group that I've posted with.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
In Wordcraft Junior the kids love to use emoticons. I wonder if there's any significance in that? Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Probably! Mad

I suspect kids always like them better. It may not be a cultural phenomenon then, but it is interesting to see some people who love emoticons, and others who hate them. I have to admit, though, that when I look at some of my old posts with lots of emoticons, I get a little embarrassed.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Eek You don't like emoticons? Confused Whyever not? Razz They're fun, and colorful Big Grin and they help distinguish what your mood is! Big Grin

My suspicion is that it is partly an age thing, and partly a "formal" thing. Those of us who are more informal might use them more often than those folks who are more formal. Wink

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I prefer to use puntucation marks where I can. After all, isn't that one of their functions? Of course, sometimes more emphasis is needed, then, maybe, we can use an exclamation mark! Or maybe an anapodoton... and you can think of the rest...

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anapodoton? ANAPODOTON!? I developed a severe case of anaphoric anaptyctic anastrophism while trying to find that one in the dictionary. (Failed.) Confused Wink

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
See anapodoton.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anapodoton? ANAPODOTON!?
And it is, of course, defined in OEDILF http://www.oedilf.com/db/Lim.php?Word=Anapodoton&button=Search

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get it! Smile An anapodoton is a sort of anacoluthon! I found that one right away. Seems like I've been doing it all my life. If only I'd known it had a name.... Smile

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post