Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Internet punctuation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Internet punctuation Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
The latest Allusionist podcast is about how people do (and don't) punctuate in chatrooms, messages, emails and so on. The first point made is that people now often don't punctuate the end of a sentence with a full stop (period) because just hitting return does the same job.
They say that actually when you do use a full stop it is perceived as rude and aggressive - as if you are adding "and that's my final word on the matter".
That's something that would just never occur to me. I realise that we are hardly a typical sample of internet users but how do other people see it if someone in a chatroom or on Twitter or wherever punctuates in the "old-fashioned" way?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't use FB much, but I am quite poltical on Twitter. There are many types that I follow or read (comments from articles) and some don't seem that educated. Yet, I always see periods and other punctuation. I'll look more closely for it though.

My problem with Twitter is that you can't edit; you can only delete. I'll write something with a typo and will have delete the whole thing to correct it. Others on Twitter get irritated about that, too.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Report from luddite corner: my punctuation is spotty on text messages because I still use a flip phone. Periods are easy, but anything else requires click-scrolling through a bunch of choices...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
A flip phone? Wink Then I'll forgive your punctuation...

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post