Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Don't use your GPS to store the coordinates of your stash!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't use your GPS to store the coordinates of your stash! Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Since this is Potpourri I think this post fits best in this section. Cool

See this blog: http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/20/when-growing-pot-don...dinates-in-your-gps/

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow, 59 years in jail for that. Only in America!

Racine, Wisconsin, is very close to us. He really was a bit foolish, wasn't he?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow, 59 years in jail for that. Only in America!

That long? Or that short? Because in Afghanistan, they'd cut off your hands.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
59 years for growing marijuana? I'd say the punishment doesn't fit the crime (too long). On the other hand, he only faces 59 years, so maybe he won't get that much. Still, I do think our sentences for some crimes are way overboard.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
That long? Or that short? Because in Afghanistan, they'd cut off your hands.

Simce Afghanistan is one of the worlds main producers of opium I'd be inclined to doubt that - unless they don't want the competition!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Simce Afghanistan is one of the worlds main producers of opium

Among other things:Afghanistan is also a big producer of hashish. Sean may be confusing it with another country.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Taliban banned opium production, and was known to cut off the hands of people who defied them. Afghanistan is the leading producer of opium, something like 70%, last I read, much higher than when the Taliban where in power.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True. And now that the British and Americans are (nominally at least) in power I don't know why they don't legalise opium production (let's face it, there a great legitimate need for its derivatives) and make sure the job is done properly and the profits go to the legitimate producers and distributors, rather than the warlords.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
What are you, Richard, some kind of commie!?!? Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What are you, Richard, some kind of commie!?!?

My suggestion seems to me to be in the true spirit of capitalism, not communism.

Richard English

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
some kind of commie

I believe the legalization of so-called vices or victimless crimes is more in keeping with those of a libertarian political persuasion than a totalitarian one.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe the legalization of so-called vices or victimless crimes is more in keeping with those of a libertarian political persuasion than a totalitarian one.

It's not a question of being a liberarian, it's a question of good business sense. I was suggesting that the growing of opium in Afghanistan be legalised and controlled, as it must already be in many farms. (How would the legitimate users get their supplies otherwise?)

Legalise opium production and the warlords who presently control the industry will be taken out of the equation and everyone (apart from them) will do very much better.

Richard English