Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    bed clothing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bed clothing Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
What do you call the clothing that you wear to bed? Do women wear nighties or nightgowns or pajamas? Men? pajamas? Are there other terms? What do you Brits call your pajamas or nightgowns?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Quote "...What do you Brits call your pajamas or nightgowns?..."

We call our pajamas, pyjamas.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
skin

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
LOL @ Bob!

I call my huge tshirt a nightie or night shirt.

But, for your pleasure, I have a song about this! (of course)

To the Tune of the Battle Hymn of the Republic:

I wear my pink pajamas in the Summer when it's hot
and I wear my woolen undies in the Winter when it's not
and sometimes in the Springtime and sometimes in the Fall
I go to bed with nothin' on at all!

Glory, glory what's it too ya?
I go to bed with NOTHIN ON AT ALL!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CW,
I'll have a hard time topping that one! But I wear a nightgown.. if it's warmish, and pajamas if it's coolish... and I always wear socks... summer or winter...

I say pa-jahm-mas... my NY friends say pa-jam-mas...

Just skin to sleep in.... never! How unprotected!!! Big Grin

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quote "...Just skin to sleep in.... never! How unprotected!!! ..."

Is this a US thing, maybe? Although we in the UK have bedtime wear, in my experience it is reserved for hospital visits and, as I have already vouchsafed, films and soap operas.

In my childhood when heating was expensive, bedrooms were cold, and duvets (futons) were unknown there was some point in wearing nightwear. Indeed, I recall with absolutely no affection whatsoever, wrapping my feet in a woollen sweater to keep them warm. But now? I would probably evaporate, or at least melt, were I to wear pyjamas under my duvet in my well-heated bedroom.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
It occurs to me that at this point, I'm learning fairly more about the personal habits of folks than I thought I would. I was at first going to protest, but the information has brought me joy, and therefore, I'm glad for it. Should I start a pole???

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now, Richard, you know very well why I asked this question, and you didn't cooperate, did you? Wink

and duvets (futons)

Richard, do you define "duvet" and "futon" the same? I think of a duvet as a covering for a comforter (though I see that dictionary.com defines it also as a 'quilt').

Ahhh, Bob, I think a lot of American men sleep in their skin, too.

pyjamas...? Is it spelled that way? Or is that just how you pronounce it? Lots of people here say pj's, too.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Pyjamas is actually spelled that way here.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quote "...Should I start a pole???..."

If you wish. We have nothing against Eastern Europeans here.

Richard English

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Maybe this is a British thing? Like Bob and Richard, I don't wear pyjamas normally, reserving them only for overnight stays at houses of friends and relations, and hospitals. A duvet is a quilt that is used as covering, without the need for top sheets and blankets. Instead of changing the sheets, just the duvet cover needs to be washed. A quilt or eiderdown would normally be placed on top of the sheets and blankets.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Maybe this is a British thing? Like Bob and Richard, I don't wear pyjamas normally, reserving them only for overnight stays at houses of friends and relations, and hospitals.

Of course, I don't know what the majority of men here wear when they go to bed Wink, but I do think that is similar in the U.S.

Do they have bathrobes or robes in the UK?

posted Hide Post
Too bad we don't have CAT in England telling us what she wears to bed... perhaps the entire British Isles are naked under their duvets and we never knew..Smile

A futon in the U.S. is a "fake bed"... I call them that! Sort of a sofa, which will unfold to a bed.. not something one would want to take permanent residence upon... used more as a guest bed.

My duvet covers my down comforter... and I still wear socks and pyjamas...

Lordy, I hope they have bathrobes in the UK... we'd all be seeing a lot more than we bargained for, if not.. Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Too bad we don't have CAT in England telling us what she wears to bed... perhaps the entire British Isles are naked under their duvets and we never knew..

I love that thought, KHC! Smile

I have been meaning to write Bob and find out how Cat is. I know that she has been ill recently. Perhaps we can find out on the chat tomorrow.

posted Hide Post
I was wrong about futons. I had thought the word was a synonym for duvet in the USA (it's not used here) and I was simply trying to be helpful by providing a translation.

Duvets (continental quilts) are now very common in the UK and have largely replaced blankets and eiderdowns.

I, too, have had little first-hand experience of what most British ladies wear in bed but I do know, from the few times that the topic has been subject to mention, that most British men prefer to sleep in their birthday suits.

We don't have bathrobes in England - we have dressing gowns.

Richard English

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
For me, a futon is a sort of matress which has no springs and is stuffed with cotton. Some are thin and others are thick. I've slept on a futon for years before I had one of those futon couches which convert into beds.

I wear whatever is necessary to bed, which in warmer weather is nothing. Into my earlier twenties I used to wear nightshirts. My grandmother used to make us (me, my father, and uncles) a new set each year: some of light cotton for summer time and the others of a heavier flannel for winter time. They were a bit old fashioned, even in my youth, but we didn't have central heating on the ranch, and they kept us warm.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We don't have bathrobes in England - we have dressing gowns.

Ah, that was the phrase I was looking for, Richard..."dressing gowns." Is it really commonly used? It sounds so, so...British! We don't use it here.

posted Hide Post
I probably use the term more often than I use the garment - and that is even more true of pyjamas!

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
My mother used to use a term for robes that I don't hear anymore, and that is "housecoat." I think I would get this response if I used that word in front of my kids: Roll Eyes

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, I've heard "dressing gowns" fairly often, actually, but only by people who are trying to sound high brow. Housecoats are generally (in my association) those frumpy garments worn by women who don't have employment outside the home and don't do much around the home, either. OR, they're what sometimes passes for a dress for a woman in a lower income area.

In reading this again I realized it sounded a bit snooty. I guess when I think of housecoats I think of trailer parks, too. But I don't mean to imply that not doing anything all day and living in a trailer park makes you a bad person. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Caterwauller,

~Dalai Lama

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Should I start a pole???

I can see that if we all get together sometime, it's going to be a awful lot of fun! Eek

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about night caps? How many years since anyone wore one of those...? "And Mama in her kerchief, and I in my cap, had just settled down..."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Housecoats are generally (in my association) those frumpy garments worn by women who don't have employment outside the home and don't do much around the home, either. OR, they're what sometimes passes for a dress for a woman in a lower income area.

Oh, my poor mother! I am so glad she is not here to read this because she had a little bit of snootiness to her. Her mother's family was from England so she would use many English terms for our furniture (such as "sideboard"), words that were not used normally in Wisconsin. She loved to use French words, too, like "risqué" or "décolleté."

For the record, we did not live in a trailer park. And my mom never wore her "housecoats" for a dress. I have no idea why the "housecoat" term, though I imagine it is a regional use.

BTW, just as I said that I hadn't heard of "dressing gown," I came across it in a novel I was reading. The author is clearly American, and she lives in the south. I just have never come across it before.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Do you all call slippers the same thing? Are there other terms for those shoe-like things that are warmer and roomier and more comfy than shoes?

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I call them "slippers," though my cousins used to call them "mukluks." Also, my grandfather used to have "slipper socks." My mom used to call them something like "seetsas," but I think she must have made up that name because I have never found it.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Slipper socks are socks that have soles stitched to them. I have some, as well as regular slippers, or house shoes. I've also heard some folks call slippers "Weejuns," but that's an old brand name for them.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
They're called slippers over here, too.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am now wondering "slipper" got its name. Is it related to a ladies "slip?"

posted Hide Post
I think 'housecoats' have button fastenings, but a robe has zipper or tie closures. Housecoats were usually worn in the summer/warmer weather. Housecoats were also more "presentable" if company dropped in...past tense...(since no one wears them anymore)!...and no one just drops in!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: amnow,

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I am now wondering "slipper" got its name. Is it related to a ladies "slip?"

Only in that they both "slip" on and off with ease. No buckles or belts or laces, just the bare essentials (but hiding THE bare essentials!).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KHC:
Too bad we don't have CAT in England telling us what she wears to bed... perhaps the entire British Isles are naked under their duvets and we never knew..Smile

Is it too late to tell you what I wear to bed...? Wink

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
It's not too late! Do tell!

~Dalai Lama

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Come on, Cat, we're waiting... Smile

posted Hide Post
If you're too shy to tell us then a photo would do Eek

Richard English

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
She's keeping us all in suspense!

~Dalai Lama

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
She may fear that her revelation will create bedlam in our ranks!

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
As soon as she lets slip what the truth is.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
This could be a comic strip.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
But Cat might find that rather off-putting.

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
I wear those two-piece things: strappy vest on top, and on the bottom the type of shorts I'd never dare wear out in the street.

Well, what were you expecting? Wink

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Apparently most of the men in England go to bed in the buff. We were expecting the same from you, of course!

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, what were you expecting?

Whatever it was...you sure had them all in suspense! I missed it all due to my *^%$#@&*(! computer.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Is your computer working again? Poor Kalleh!
Poor Shu!

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:
Apparently most of the men in England go to bed in the buff. We were expecting the same from you, of course!

Well, sometimes it gets really hot in the summer, you know... Wink

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Cat - did you read the lyrics of the song I shared early in this thread? LOL

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I guess it all depends on what you mean by "hot." According to this site, England is quite moderate, with the average temperature from June through August being 70°F.

I think it must be related to the man, rather than the weather! Wink

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
My first visit to the UK was in the summer of 1976. The weather got into the upper 90s (mid 30s for you Celsius folks). Milk spoiled in stores. I saw businessmen in their shirtsleeves in London. The horror, the horror.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by jheem:
My first visit to the UK was in the summer of 1976. The weather got into the upper 90s (mid 30s for you Celsius folks). Milk spoiled in stores. I saw businessmen in their shirtsleeves in London. The horror, the horror.

Only the MID-thirties? Since body temperature is 37C, I'd think it made it to the upper 30s.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
1976 was a famously hot summer. Pretty well unbroken sunny days from June to early September. The government was so worried about the lack of rainfall that they appointed a Minister for Drought. Two days later the weather broke and so they made him Minister for Floods instead. Smile

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Drought/flood... It's a wash. Big Grin