Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    betwixt and between
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

betwixt and between Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
One of my favorite prescriptivoid rulelets is that between can only be used with two conjoined noun phrases: e.g., between you and me. If more than two, then go for among. This leads to absurdities like: *the treaty among France, Italy, and the UK was signed last week rather than the more natural sounding the treaty between France, Italy, and the UK was signed last week (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
A similar example of an "exception" to this "rule" would be

The Bermuda Triangle is situated between three islands in the Caribbean.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Bermuda Triangle is situated between three islands in the Caribbean.

Nowhere near Bermuda, then...

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
[Between] is still the only word available to express the relation of a thing to many surrounding things severally and individually, among expressing a relation to them collectively and vaguely." J A H Murray, editor of the OED.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nowhere near Bermuda, then...

I didn't really know. I made that sentence up as an example. On looking it up in Wikipedia I see:
quote:
The boundaries of the Triangle vary with the author; some stating its shape is akin to a trapezoid covering the Straits of Florida, the Bahamas, and the entire Caribbean island area east to the Azores; others add to it the Gulf of Mexico. The more familiar, triangular boundary in most written works has as its points somewhere on the Atlantic coast of Florida; San Juan, Puerto Rico; and the mid-Atlantic island of Bermuda, with most of the accidents concentrated along the southern boundary around the Bahamas and the Florida Straits.
So it does appear to be near Bermuda ...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
Not really. Bermuda is well north of the Caribbean; it's almost due east of Savannah (GA) and almost due south of Halifax Nova Scotia.

Having said which, it's a very common mistake that people make - the assumption that Bermuda is a Caribbean island, not an Atlantic one.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
... has as its points somewhere on the Atlantic coast of Florida; San Juan, Puerto Rico; and the mid-Atlantic island of Bermuda ...
(My italics.)

posted Hide Post
One problem is with the mythical triangle itself - the supposed location of which varies according to the source of information.

That one of its point touches Bermuda I don't dispute and by that definition it is near Bermuda. But if the triangle itself is bounded by three Caribbean islands (as your definition suggested), then it can't be anywhere near Bermuda, since Bermuda is hundreds of miles from the Caribbean.

Of course, that doesn't invalidate the grammatical point in any way.

Richard English

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
France, Italy, and the UK, the treaty's three primary participants, signed it last week.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
France, Italy, and the UK, the treaty's three primary participants, signed it last week.

Yes, one can (almost) always rewrite the sentence to keep the usage mavens from snapping at one's heels, but the grammatical truth of the matter is that there's nothing wrong with the sentence as I wrote it. The earliest example of between being used with more than two items is 971 CE in the Blickling Homilies. The stipulation that it cannot be used with more than two (based on the etymological fallacy) is from the 19th century.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.