Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headlines Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Have you heard any funny headlines these days? These two just boggle my mind, though I do know there's always another side to the story:

"Chicago man wears Packers tie to work, is promptly fired" Link

and

"Akron woman jailed over over kids' school address": Link

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We have the school thing here as well. Lots of parents will move house to get into the catchment area of a particular school that is seen as good. Others are thought to use relative's or friend's addresses as fakes. ISTR at least one instance of a woman being sent to gaol for using a fake address when applying.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
This isn't a headline but I'm sure Kalleh will enjoy it since it's about the neighborliness of Chicago.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Amusing, Proof. However, the video doesn't say if the guy got his snow shovel back.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

<Proofreader>
posted
No, it says she didn't have it when she found her car re-buried. So she either lost it or someone stole her trophy, too.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I only have my laptop here in Orlando and can't seem to pull the video up...but I can't wait to see it. Yes, when Chicago gets a blizzard, there are many good people who help out, but also some louses. The whole "dibs" situation really irritates me, but it has become a cultural thing in Chicago. I guess they believe they own the street in front of their homes.

posted Hide Post
http://www.journalgazette.net/...302089963/1002/LOCAL

I guess we can scratch Harry Baals from the list.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I saw that, too. We've a Labour politician over here named Ed Balls. He held cabinet posts in the last Labour government, and unsucessfully ran to become leader of the party. At the moment he's Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer (that is, finance). I suspect he won't get many buildings named after him, either. Wink

posted Hide Post
In Muncie there is a university called "Ball State Univrsity." It easily mondegreens as "Balls Tate University." If one supposed that the brothers Ball (there were five) had loads of chutzpah it would make sense - sorta kinda.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I kinda like that Harry Baals! Big Grin

<Proofreader>
posted
Here's a line from the Huffington Post in a story about a Russian poet.

•Born in 1940 in Leningrad (St. Petersburg), Brodsky's family nearly starved to death during the Siege of Leningrad (1941-1944).

The entire family born in one year. Communism did some wonderful things, didn't it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You have to love these headlines! Link

Here are a couple of my favorites:
    Meeting on open meetings is closed (transparency at its best!)
    DOE to do NEPA's EIS on BNFL's AMWTP at INEEL after SRA protest (say what???)
    Utah Poison Control Center reminds everyone not to take poison (Duh!)
    Federal agents raid gun shop, find weapons (And what did they expect?)
    Statistics show that teen pregnancy drops off significantly after age 25 (Age of the journalist?)
    Missippi's literacy program shows improvement (It has a way to go...)
    Tips to avoid alligator attacks: Don't swim in waters inhabited by large alligators (Got it!)
    One-armed man applauds the kindness of strangers ( Roll Eyes)