Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    More evidence of the impending death of the English language
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More evidence of the impending death of the English language Login/Join

posted
The following was seen on a website:

Our main website, is back up, we apologize for the hadware issues.

Count the mistakes, right? And you're guessing that I found this on some insignificant blog? Not so! It came from a dictionary website!!

While it is still up, you can see it here: http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/word/course .

posted Hide Post
What's with the "christian religion" spiel on your link? There's no attribution.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One comma between the subject and predicate and the English language is dead? It's way more fragile than I thought.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
What's with the "christian religion" spiel on your link? There's no attribution.

If you click on the illustration, you go to a page referring to the 1828 Webster's dictionary, with a discussion of Webster's Christian bent.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, Goofy, it is a dictionary site. That ramps it up in my mind. Also, it is a run-on sentence the way it is.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:
One comma between the subject and predicate and the English language is dead? It's way more fragile than I thought.

There's more there than just that. It should have read "Our main website [drop comma] is back up. [period replaces comma] We [capital "W" begins new sentence] apologize for the hardware [misspelling corrected] issues."

In a post 12 words long, a total of 4 mistakes would seem excessive to me if this had been someone's personal blog but, again, it was a dictionary website, a place where one might expect posters to be a tad more erudite.

posted Hide Post
Really 3 mistakes, since the lack of a capital letter flows from the fact that it is one sentence.

It's not really a dictionary site, is it? I mean it's not run by a company that publishes their own dictionary. It seems to provide a copy of Noah Webster's 1828 dictionary, which as I understand it is freely available from other sites as well.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't know the site, but it has a donation part to it, and there are a lot of words defined (4686) in the letter as, for example. I have to agree with CJ on this one, goofy. On Wee Willy's "essay," however, I agree with your remarks, goofy.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post