Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    I'm good...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm good... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
More and more I'm hearing people say "I'm good" when you offer them a drink or food or something. I had thought about posting it here, and then I found read this article today from The Globe and Mail. While it was about the word "good" generally, toward the end Clements says:
quote:
Of late, many people have started saying "I'm good" when asked whether they would like more to eat or drink. "Care for another glass of red?" "No, thanks, I'm good." I don't know how this came about. Perhaps "good" here means "in good shape." Perhaps it's a relative of another phrase, "it's all good," which is a way of saying "I'm fine" and is used as a substitute for "you're welcome." (If it replaces another substitute, "no problem," I'm all for it.) Or perhaps it's a short form of "good and," which since the 1880s has meant totally, as in "good and tired" or "good and full."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I think of it as abbreviated, "I'm good to go."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
When I'm offered a physic, it's "No,
Let Ma Nature work my innard's flow."
She will soon have it happen --
A start to my crappin' --
And then I'll say, "I'm good to go."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The other day in Japanese class I learned how to turn down an offered goddie: いいえ結構です (iie kekko desu) "No, (I'm) fine," that is "No thanks."

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's not really used over here; not in my hearing, anyway. We'd probably use "I'm OK", which, of course, literally means essentially the same.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say "I'm good" but I would say "I'm fine".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The "I'm good" construction seems very common in Canada. Which raises the question, if you say "I'm good" when you mean "I'm fine" what do you say when you want to say "I'm good" (as in a child's protestation of proper behaviour).

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The same. The meaning would surely be clear from the context.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
The "I'm good" construction seems very common in Canada. Which raises the question, if you say "I'm good" when you mean "I'm fine" what do you say when you want to say "I'm good" (as in a child's protestation of proper behaviour).

In Canada we say "I'm good" to indicate we don't need anything else. We also say "I'm good" to indicate that we're behaving properly. Somehow we manage to avoid confusion. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,