Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    In The News
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In The News Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ewww...hate the defetus one. Not too classy.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Microsoft CEO Bill Gates

That gives some idea of the age of that spam: he stopped being CEO in January 2000.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Yeah, it looks like someone updated it but didn't notice the incongruities.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Here is a story that may only appeal to Kalleh.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't agree with it at all. Health care professionals have a special power over their patients, and they must maintain professionalism. It might be good for the nurses, but it surely isn't good for the patients. There has to be a better way for nurses to express humor or to vent. I do realize that nursing is very stressful, and nurses need coping strategies. But making fun of their patients should not be one of them.

At any rate, it was in interesting perspective, Proof, and thanks for posting it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting article about the recent misuse of the word "lynch mob," equating it to the word "protester." Those of you not in the U.S. may not be aware that we are having protests because of police brutality, particularly on African Americans. However, I agree with this columnist's analysis that the two words are very different. While surely violent protesters are completely out of line, there is a purposeful objective of lynch mobs to kill minorities. Big difference!

What do the rest of you think?

<Proofreader>
posted
Here is an interesting idea. Surprised it took so long to achieve inspiration.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Pretty funny! Big Grin I am not sure why they haven't thrown it out of court, though.

<Proofreader>
posted
A recent article about fast foods mentioned that MacDonald University has had over 80,000 graduates with a degree in "hamburgerology". And some people have wasted their money on medical school....

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
How long does that degree course take, I wonder? I recall seeing a comedy on TV that obviously parodied KFC and similar fast food joints. The ultra-dim hero was happy that he'd been accepted to go on a 2-day course at the in-house 'university'. "Only 80% get in" he said proudly. One wonders how stupid are the ones who fail to get in. Eek

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it's the smart ones who fail...

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd imagine that the smart ones aren't working at a fast-food joint anyway - or at least aren't planning to go to 'college' to learn about a McJob.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Actually, Hamburger University is in my backyard (Oak Brook). If you check the curriculum, the courses are legitimate, and they have 19 full-time professors.

<Proofreader>
posted
Shu may not find this "Shoe" comic too funny

<Proofreader>
posted
And here is one Kalleh may find slightly unfavorable.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Proof, they seem to only show the current ones. Would love to see the ones you wanted to show us.

posted Hide Post
I can't copy and paste with this (*&^$@!@ mouseless crotchtop confuser, so I hope one of you saw the NY Times article onthe DNA studies revealing that a people called the Yanmara, from Western Russian and Ukraine, are the likely source op PIE. Sooooo, we're speaking Russian, but they're writing in Greek! Go figure...

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Sorry Geoff. I searched the NYT site and Google for 'Yanmara' with zero success. Any other clues? I don't understand how DNA is supposed to reveal a language spoken some five thousand years ago.

posted Hide Post
Oops, it's Yamnaya. Try Googling that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Proof, they seem to only show the current ones. Would love to see the ones you wanted to show us.

I think you can go back into their archives to the date you want to see.

posted Hide Post
I found this

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015...peans.html?referrer=

quote:

Paul Heggarty, a linguist at the Max Planck Institute of Evolutionary Anthropology, said that the new studies were important, but were still too limited to settle the debate over the origins of Indo-European. “I don’t think we’re there yet,” he said.

Dr. Heggarty noted that the studies showed the arrival of Yamnaya in Central Europe about 4,500 years ago. But Greek is an Indo-European language, and the oldest evidence of writing in Europe shows that Greek had developed about 3,500 years ago. By then, it was distinct from other Indo-European languages in Southern Europe, like Latin.

If the Yamnaya were the source of Indo-European languages, they would have had to get to southern Europe soon after they made it to Central Europe.

posted Hide Post
Good going, arnie, That's the article I had wanted to link to.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Good going, arnie, That's the article I had wanted to link to.

You're welcome, Bob.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
My pleasure, Proof.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Donald Trump's people prepared for a reception in Iowa by putting up a banner which was supposed to say "Let's make American Great Again." Unfortunately, they spelled it "America". They changed it but not before being caught.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've heard the American accents. They appear to have also misspelled "grate". Big Grin

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Sometimes even Fox News can look better than some others.CNN messes up, too.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh dear!

<Proofreader>
posted
You're at a beach on a sunny day. Suddenly, there's an explosion of some kind and an elderly woman is tossed into the air, landing on rocks, injuring her ribs and suffering a concussion. Authorities inspect the area but fail to locate the cause of the blast. Eventually the mayor declares the beach safe and reopened for beachgoers.
No one knows what caused the blast, nor whether it could happen again, or when it might occur. Given this, is it likely anyone would return to the beach?

posted Hide Post
Proofreader mistakes Humppington Post for news source

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I like the Huffington Post.

I don't know, Proof. I am told that on the east coast people get right back into the water after seeing sharks, even when their fins are showing.

<Proofreader>
posted
That actually happened here. The beach exploded for no discernible reason and no one can pinpoint the cause. Bur even though they don't know why, and even though they don't know if it will happen again, the authorities said the beach was totally safe and everyone flocked back unconcerned. Two days later, they were still trying to determine what set off the blast.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Humppington Post for news source

Beats Fox Noise.

Here is a sample of what the HuffPost is offering this week.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

posted Hide Post
Whether left (Humpington) or right (Fuchs) it's crackpot crap IM not so very HO. Wink

As for those maps of "swear" words: They're mostly obscenities, not swear words. Ah does believe there's a difference.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I guess it all depends on your political ideology, to a point. However, I might point out that the Huffington Post has won the Pulitzer Prize, the Peabody Award, among others. Not too shabby.

<Proofreader>
posted
This story might upset Wee Willie a bit.

"A federal appeals court has upheld a settlement in which Southwest Airlines passengers got free drink vouchers while lawyers who sued received payments of $1.65M each. The lawyers had originally sought $3M but were turned down. When the passengers appealed the ruling, asking for more compensation, the lawyers asked that their $3M be reinstated, too.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What was the offense? Free drink vouchers versus $1.65 M? I'll take the latter.

<Proofreader>
posted
Apparently the airline offered vouchers for some purpose but then refused to honor them after a certain period, even though the vouchers didn't have an expiration date. The voucher holders sued and won, if you can call that a win.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am not a lawyer (though I come from a lawyer family), but it seems to me that oftentimes the class action suits are hard on the defendents (because there are so many plaintiffs), but the original plaintiffs (those suing) don't gain that much.

<Proofreader>
posted

<Proofreader>
posted
While this may not qualify for recent news, there's a story about odd things associated with the moon. Most are fairly mundane but one tidbit was that while the first man to walk on the moon was Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin was the first man to pee there.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ewww!

It seems that he was also the first person to hold a religious ceremony on the moon, and he even took communion there. However, he kept it secret because of the threat of a lawsuit from an atheist activist.

posted Hide Post
The New Yorker March 30, 2015 Issue
A Loss for Words
Can a dying language be saved?

By Judith Thurman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, Tinman.
quote:
There are approximately seven billion inhabitants of earth. They conduct their lives in one or several of about seven thousand languages—multilingualism is a global norm. Linguists acknowledge that the data are inexact, but by the end of this century perhaps as many as fifty per cent of the world’s languages will, at best, exist only in archives and on recordings. According to the calculations of the Catalogue of Endangered Languages (ELCat)—a joint effort of linguists at the University of Hawaii, Manoa, and at the University of Eastern Michigan—nearly thirty language families have disappeared since 1960. If the historical rate of loss is averaged, a language dies about every four months.
Every 4 months a language dies? Wow.

<Proofreader>
posted
Now that the government has seen fit to change Mount McKinley back to its native name, a local columnist has a suggestion for on of our sites. Link

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Somehow Block Island doesn't have much of a ring to it. Wink

<Proofreader>
posted
Really? It's that old?

<Proofreader>
posted
Kim Davis, the Kentucky clerk who went to jail rather than issue marriage licenses to gay couples, returned to her job but still refused to give out licenses. She only allowed her assistants to issue them, without her signature.

Many people will call me a 'jerk'
Since my duties as clerk I must shirk.
I'm obeying God's ways
Ignoring the gays,
But I still want my pay for no work.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Quite good. Just don't run that past the Republicans. Wink

We are missing your excellent limerick skills down below.

<Proofreader>
posted
There's no reason to be such a grump
Just because I implied you're a chump.
I know who to abuse,
Those most likely to lose,
Since you know I'm a winner -- I'm Trump.