Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Less and Fewer Again
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Less and Fewer Again Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I'm sure that at least the UK posters will have already seen this but for those that haven't...

Supermarket chain Tesco, in response to more complaints about "10 items or less" have decided that "10 items or fewer" is too confusing and are changing their signage to read "Up to 10 items". Unfortunately the initially sign painting didn't quite do the job as the "s" had been left off rendering it as "up to 10 item".

The error has now, I understand been rectified.

Meanwhile Languagelog points out, not for the first time, that less has a very long history of usage with count nouns.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I see Language Log's point, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why "10 items or fewer" is confusing. People surely know what "fewer" means, don't they?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Yes, but it's really quite uncommon nowadays in speech over here. It sounds rather affected to most people, it's not something the average person in the street says.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
"TEN-ITEM LIMIT' might work.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that 10 items or fewer is less commonly heard than 10 items or less, but I agree with Kalleh: is it really confusing?

In the meantime, I'd argue that Up to 10 items means something different. It means 9 items or fewer/less. At a minimum, it is ambiguous.

<Proofreader>
posted
Perhaps we shouldn't belabor our UK brethren when this story appears in one of their papers.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
That's The Sun. It may be printed on paper (as well as being online) but by no stretch of the imagination can it be called a newspaper.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I'd call it an advertising and publicity success for Harrod's.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's not that anyone finds the signs confusing. Prescriptive pedants like Lynne Truss will gleefully pull out their marker pens to "correct" signs containing "less". They are those trying to insist that "fewer" should be used.

The general population, who usually say "Ten items or less", either couldn't give a flying duck or would be puzzled at the strange phrasing of "Ten items or fewer". "Up to ten items" seems a sensible way to compromise.

On another tack, what about the < sign? I've always known it as the "less than" sign. Should it really be called the "fewer than" sign?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
How do you "pre-drill" a hole?

The other day, while assembling some furniture, I noticed the instructions said, "Put a screw in each of the pre-drilled holes." Perhaps pre isn't vital to that phrase but I knew what they meant. But, on the same day, I was reading an article in Family Handyman magazine which gave as an instruction, "Pre-drill four half-inch holes in the side."

Now, I can drill the holes, but how do I pre-drill them before drilling them? After they're drilled, they become "pre-drilled" but can they be "pre-drilled" before you actually drill them? The bind moggles.