Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Using pronouns these days
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using pronouns these days Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I think I am glad I am no longer teaching nursing in the university. It is much more complicated these days, apparently, about even how to introduce yourself. This is one example that some colleges and universities use: "I'm Lizzie; she/her/hers."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I think that's an incredibly stupid concept. Let people use their name alone and klet others decide for themselves what your gender is If you aren't sure yourself, how can anyone else determine, or wrongly identify, your gender if you're not certain yourself?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Also, if your name is "Lizzie" or whatever, isn't it a no-brainer that you are a "she?" And if not (you've changed your gender, but not your name), wouldn't you just say, "It's 'he'?" We make things way too hard these days.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
This is stupid. The persons are introducing themselves face-to-face. Their name, appearance and voice should let others know the correct pronoun. Perhaps the rare people with whom confusion might arise should add their preferred pronoun, as Kalleh says, but there's no point in everybody announcing it.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Cross-threading a bit, but I don't see why people can't call them by the gender they change to.

And, like North Carolina, requiring a birth certificate to use a bathroom is ludicrous. I am glad NC lost the post-season basketball play because of it.

<Proofreader>
posted
Reminds me of the man who saw a nice-looking woman at the bar and bought her some drinks. He decided after some conversation to make a play. He slowly put his hand on her leg and ran it up her thigh. He finally reached his priz4e, only to find he was holding a penis and testicles.

The woman said to him, "Don't give me away. I'm J. Edgar Hoover on stake-out."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Also, if your name is "Lizzie" or whatever, isn't it a no-brainer that you are a "she?"

Remember Michael Learned, non-amphigynous female actress? Here's more:
http://cassavafilms.com/list-o...en-with-womens-names

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, there are many unisex names, aren't there?

<Proofreader>
posted
How about Johhny Cash's Boy named Sue?