Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PEANUTS! Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
On a TV commercial, the narrator says he wants' some "peanut brickle." I've heard of "peanut brittle" but not that. Is there a difference between them? And what is the difference?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're the same thing. At first I thought brickle was just a mispronunciation of brittle, but a little digging convinced me it's dialect.

The Word Detective (while discussing "work-brickle") says
quote:
“brickle” [is] " the Scots and English dialect form of “brittle” and a form common in the Midwestern US and Appalachia." ...
“Peanut brittle,” easily breakable (thus “brittle”) hard toffee containing peanuts, is also known, in the US, as “peanut brickle.”

M-W simply says that "brickle" is dialect for "brittle." Dictionary.com expands on that:
quote:
brick⋅le
  
adjective Midland and Southern U.S.
easily broken; brittle.
Origin:
bef. 1000; Brit. dial., Scots; late ME bryckell, OE -brycel tending to break, equiv. to bryc- (mutated ptp. s. of brecan to break ) + -el adj. suffix

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
A reader sent me this link after reading these posts. That's my hubs' favorite ice cream.

We Americans do love our brittles and brickles, though personally I think peanut brittle is awful. I'd never waste a bunch of calories on that! Wink Butter brickle ice cream is another story!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of peanut brittle being pronounced as "brickle" - although it might conceivably be a Scots expression. Scottish accents are all quite different from all English accents - although I don't know whether US ears can detect that.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
Scottish accents are all quite different from all English accents - although I don't know whether US ears can detect that.

When we stayed in Stirling, the hotel owner said all sorts of things to us, but I couldn't understand a word.

<Proofreader>
posted
Several years ago, I walked to the bottom of an embankment to take pictures of a waterfall in the Great Smokies National Park. I left my wife at the top in the parking area near another couple. When I returned my wife was glassy-eyed trying to understand what the woman was saying. As I approached, the woman was saying, "En ah knowed y'all warn't fum roun her cause them tegs on yur cur is dif'rent." (And I knew you weren't from around here because the tags [license plates] on your car were different.)
The woman was from Kentucky and her accent could just as well have been Scottish to my wife.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where can I buy Virginia peanuts?

Does anyone know of a store or vendor in the area that sells Virginia peanuts? I recall there possibly being a vendor at the King's Street Farmer's Market that sells them but I'm not sure. I need to give them as a gift and I don't have time left to order them over the internet.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Matthew08,

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know of a store or vendor in the area that sells Virginia peanuts?

Which area?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She could change her name from Virginia to Alice and see if they'd sell her peanuts.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post