Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    la Ŝava alfabeto
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

la Ŝava alfabeto Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
While puttering around the Web today, I came across something that combines a couple of my favorite quirks: conlangs (constructed languages), English spelling reforms, and weird fonts. George Bernard Shaw had a provision in his will to fund a contest to design a phonemic alphabet for the English language. The result was the Shavian alphabet (link). Only one book that I know of was printed in it, an 1962 edition of Shaw's Androcles and the Lion. A Brition, Ĝan Ŭesli Starling, adapted the Shavian alphabet for writing Esperanto (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd not seen Esperanto written previously, but I could swear I was reading Romanian.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Why, according to that Wikipedia link, are l and r considered "liquids?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Should my computer be able to translate those strange characters, such as 010 over 452
into proper letters? As it is I am unable to read some of that Wikipedia article.

What's more, I am unable to paste any of these codes into this response as an example since the inclusion of any one of them gives me a "the page you requested does not exist" error when I try to do so.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Some older browsers, particularly Internet Explorer, don't have proper Unicode support. I'd suggest upgrading to the latest version.

Also, from the Wikipedia article:
quote:
Support for this part of Unicode is fairly new, and not all computer systems support it. Unicode Shavian fonts are also still quite rare

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some older browsers, particularly Internet Explorer, don't have proper Unicode support. I'd suggest upgrading to the latest version.

I use Firefox (the latest version)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Why, according to that Wikipedia link, are l and r considered "liquids?"

That's just a cover term for English l and r. It's so we can have a phonological rule that applies to both sounds, by saying it applies to "liquids".

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I had to install a free font to be able to see the Shavian alphabet glyphs. When you see boxes with two digit hexadecimal numbers one above the other, it's usually a sign that the font being used to display does not have the Unicode glyph in question and so it displays its Unicode number instead.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post